Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Repairing a wedding band broke in half with different color solder

My fiance is a widow.  He had his 14k yellow gold band on for 20 years. The ring was much too small and we spoke about having it resized or buying a new band to match my 14k rose gold engagement ring.

In order to removed the ring from his finger it had to be cut in half. He says he doesnt mind using the same ring if it can be repaired or letting me choose a new ring to match my own 14k rose gold ring set.

Well by marrying we are combining our families and I thought It would be cool if I could reuse his ring but add a personal touch to it.  Im just not sure how to do so.  I was thinking maybe engaving the ring with something personal but that seems too plain or

(and heres my big question) since my ring set made of three rose gold rings are too big and need to be sized down could a jeweler use my ring's rose gold to patch up his ring and of course if more rose gold was needed than my rings could supply I would understand if the jewerler had to use rose gold from another source. But of course the question is can a 14k yellow gold ring cut in half be savaged and if so can It be mended with 14k rose gold. I know it would look different but different yet personal is what Im looking for.

Thank you

Hello, Dee.

I believe to repair his ring with rose gold is a fine way to do this.  Whether or not your gold may be used depends on how much is needed to repair his ring and dimensions or shape and size of the gold you may provide.   A good jeweler may figure if your gold will work if he or she has both in hand.

If your gold is not easily used “as is” when removed to size your rings down, the jeweler would need to reform the metal and this is often quite labor intensive is not easy and may not work considering rose gold melts and forms with somewhat more difficulty than yellow gold. Ask the jeweler if it is best to use fresh rose gold from a piece of gold stock so the exact shape and dimensions mat be made for the repair or his ring. This will provide a generally better solution and the cost may be actually close considering the labor needed to reform your gold, if there is enough to do the job in the first place.

Best wishes with this unique means of showing love for each other. You warm my heart.
God Bless and Peace.  Thomas.  

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Have a question about jewelry repair or working with precious metal jewelry and gemstones? For many years up to December 31, 2010, I was a working professional bench jeweler, involved everyday with setting stones in mountings, designing and making jewelry, repairing and limited custom manufacture. If you work with jewelry as a hobby or as a profession, I might be able to help. I deal with the retail business, not mass production. Ask privately if you wish. See the box for that: It keeps your question between us. Please DO NOT ask MAKER'S MARKS, but metal quality marks are fine to ask. Please DO NOT ask diamond prices. See a gemologist for that.

I have extensive experience in design, service and making of jewelry. I deal mostly with precious metals and gemstones but work with many materials as needed and usable to create an artistic design. My experience also includes freelance photography and photographer of jewelry and similar items for a former employer and individuals. Design of custom items requires reading the desires of the client and being clear on what can be done within that framework...then fulfilling the transition of idea to reality. Effective communications is essential in a working designer/producer and customer relationship.

Education is English/Physics! Started in human resources, to advertising, to, what a road. I have had formal training in jewelry work and many shared experiences with top grade jewelers. We just never know were we will go or be. Follow your best, your dreams, with some discretion! Don't let the work tear up your body along the way as it has mine.