Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Ring wear

I purchased an engagement ring for my wife from a local jeweler. A solitaire diamond with a wrap ring of diamond and emeralds all in a white gold setting. Even with wearing it selectively she is losing diamonds and emeralds. We have had the ring recoated 1 and all the tips replaced 2 and they say it needs a third time. We just got it back from having the emerald replaced and two days later we lose a diamond. The ring is only 14 years old and this seems excessive I have spent more on upkeep than the initial investment. My mother in law has a similar ring and has never had to do anything to it nor has many of my wife's friends. Is this just poor quality or maybe they are not being honest, what is the typical lifespan for a ring like this?

I hesitate to comment on quality without seeing the ring. However,I believe the stone setting workmanship or prong repair is not up to standards I would accept, considering losses continue. It is quite possible that the ring when new was not well made   

Without knowing the daily history of this ring, there is no clear way to how much wear and what sort of wear the ring encounters. Are stones becoming loose then being lost or are prongs and setting features breaking off? If the latter is true, it sounds like chemical damage and internal stress corrosion of the white gold. White gold is most easily damaged by chemicals, chlorine and similar chemicals being prime culprits. Swimming pool chlorine, household bleach, etc. are notorious for destroying white gold jewelry.

Lifespan of the ring cannot be put on a hart simply because each jewelry item faces different patterns of wear. Service work such as prong repair figures in and if not well done, other areas of the ring may be left more vulnerable to stone loosening or loss.

I hope this answer in some way will help you.  God Bless and Peace. Thomas.  

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Have a question about jewelry repair or working with precious metal jewelry and gemstones? For many years up to December 31, 2010, I was a working professional bench jeweler, involved everyday with setting stones in mountings, designing and making jewelry, repairing and limited custom manufacture. If you work with jewelry as a hobby or as a profession, I might be able to help. I deal with the retail business, not mass production. Ask privately if you wish. See the box for that: It keeps your question between us. Please DO NOT ask MAKER'S MARKS, but metal quality marks are fine to ask. Please DO NOT ask diamond prices. See a gemologist for that.

I have extensive experience in design, service and making of jewelry. I deal mostly with precious metals and gemstones but work with many materials as needed and usable to create an artistic design. My experience also includes freelance photography and photographer of jewelry and similar items for a former employer and individuals. Design of custom items requires reading the desires of the client and being clear on what can be done within that framework...then fulfilling the transition of idea to reality. Effective communications is essential in a working designer/producer and customer relationship.

Education is English/Physics! Started in human resources, to advertising, to, what a road. I have had formal training in jewelry work and many shared experiences with top grade jewelers. We just never know were we will go or be. Follow your best, your dreams, with some discretion! Don't let the work tear up your body along the way as it has mine.