Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/au plating part surface getting nlur

Hi..lately my au plating parts surface getting blur and my chemical solution become darker.PH&SG adjustment is under there any posibblities of composition of chemical having problem?

I will try to answer your question. However, I am missing the chemistry detail in your description. Are you talking about gold plating using a solution and an anode / cathode system? Are you trying to gold plate by single immersion without an electric current? Which materials are you trying to plate? Are you using a cyanide based solution system or other solution types?

Here are some pointers: If you use an anode / cathode electric current system with your solution, is your anode Au? If not, you will start having problems over time.

Also, from your description it looks like you are using a high pH bath. Again, is it cyanide based? If yes, any other metal contamination in your bath will co-deposit with your Au under those conditions. This may be a problem after several cycles when you are trying to plate a base metal with gold.

A change in the color of your solution may indicate other metal ion contamination, like Fe.

Hope this helps a little bit. I would need much more detail in order to be more specific.

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Uwe Richard Kackstaetter, Ph.D. (Dr.K)

I can answer questions concerning minerals, mineralogy, gems, metals, and anything that has to do with geology. However, I am NOT a jeweler. Questions about values, settings, gem stone cuts and appraisals are best directed to other experts on this site. I can however aide in the identification of unknown mineral materials. As a public service and part as training for new geoscientists, our university department provides FREE mineral identification for individuals. Please contact me for details or go to for details..

I am a professor of applied geology and mineralogy with many hours of field experience. Furthermore, I enjoy recreational gold prospecting and mineral collecting. As a professor I am engaged in research concerning minerals and their occurrence.

Member of the GPAA (Gold Prospectors Association of America) as well as the Association of Environmental Geochemists. Member of the GSA (Geologic Society of America) Member of the AIPG (American Institute of Professional Geologists)

Here is a small sampling: Mineral-rock handbook: Rapid-easy mineral-rock determination : written for anyone interested in minerals and rocks - Proctor, Peterson, and Kackstaetter;Macmillan Pub. Co. (New York and Toronto and New York) Physical Geology Laboratory e-Manual [CD-ROM], Kackstaetter, Earth Science Education LLC Colorado Front Range Self-guided Geology Field Trips, Kackstaetter,

Ph.D. in Applied Geology and Mineralogy. I am actively teaching courses in mineralogy and a variety of field courses with mineral collecting opportunities. Background in precious metal exploration.