Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Damaged Prong

Hi Thomas,

I just got engaged this weekend.  I noticed one of the 14K white prongs that there seems to be what looks like a bit of a dent or a chip.  Is this normal on a brand new ring setting?  Can this be fixed?  It's small but noticeable.  Any advice will help.  Thank you!  

Dear Nicole,

Normally this would not be seen on a new ring, however, a jeweler should be able to fix it with relative ease.  The jeweler will examine the spot and determine if it can be gently buffed away.  If the spot is actually a defect in the prong and deeper or more extensive than a surface look reveals, you should speak with your fiance about contacting the seller for replacement of the crown(prong setting of the stone) or of the ring itself.  

Re-tipping or building up of the prong ends should not be needed and if the jeweler recommends work that extensive a repair, the ring should be replaced.  That sort of work is for years down the road after years of wearing and enjoying the ring, not to start with on a new ring.

Thanks for the question. Use a follow-up to get back with me if clarification is needed.

God Bless and Peace.   Thomas.

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Have a question about jewelry repair or working with precious metal jewelry and gemstones? For many years up to December 31, 2010, I was a working professional bench jeweler, involved everyday with setting stones in mountings, designing and making jewelry, repairing and limited custom manufacture. If you work with jewelry as a hobby or as a profession, I might be able to help. I deal with the retail business, not mass production. Ask privately if you wish. See the box for that: It keeps your question between us. Please DO NOT ask MAKER'S MARKS, but metal quality marks are fine to ask. Please DO NOT ask diamond prices. See a gemologist for that.

I have extensive experience in design, service and making of jewelry. I deal mostly with precious metals and gemstones but work with many materials as needed and usable to create an artistic design. My experience also includes freelance photography and photographer of jewelry and similar items for a former employer and individuals. Design of custom items requires reading the desires of the client and being clear on what can be done within that framework...then fulfilling the transition of idea to reality. Effective communications is essential in a working designer/producer and customer relationship.

Education is English/Physics! Started in human resources, to advertising, to, what a road. I have had formal training in jewelry work and many shared experiences with top grade jewelers. We just never know were we will go or be. Follow your best, your dreams, with some discretion! Don't let the work tear up your body along the way as it has mine.