Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Much loved hinged bangle too small

Question
Hello

I have a much loved bangle that is new which is hinged, it was bought for me by someone special and I adore it but sadly it is too small. Would a jeweller be able to add some silver to the bangle at all to make it bigger?I think its about 6 in diameter and I need a 7 or 7.5,
Would really appreciate some advice
Many thanks
Rose.

Answer
Dear Rose, there are conditions involved in adding length to a bangle bracelet. If the bangle is hollow with a built in clasp, extending would possibly include adding a section of another bangle by installing suitable fastener ends to a cut out section of the second bangle which must be purchased for this purpose.  If the bangle is solid metal, a piece of silver stock of the same diameter and form may be curved, cut and added to your original bracelet. Generally the neatest way to do this is add the new section to the hinge and it also becomes a hinged section.  However, the extra section must be rather long and is possibly best added by putting clasp ends on it so it goes between the present clasp ends to extend the bangle.

The circumstance or distance around a 6" bangle compared to a 7.5" one is about 4.5 inches. That is a pretty long piece to add and have all fit and hang properly on the wrist.

When speaking to a jeweler, ask if the bangle is plated with an anti-tarnish metal such as rhodium or some sort of simulated rhodium. If so, all of that must be removed prior to doing any soldering work to join clasps or bracelet sections otherwise the metal look spotty with dark areas.  This work is complicated regardless and may be fairly costly. Rose, I have to tell it honestly and you might find after speaking with a jeweler that the work should not be done.

Now, even with that news, I wish you and yours a wonderful Christmas and Blessed new year.  Thomas.

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Thomas