Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/resizing a ring from 5.5 to 7.5

Question
I had my moms wedding ring set sized down from a 6 to a 5 and now want to resize it to a 7.5.  It is 14k Gold and a single diamond with a beautiful ring guard.  Would this be possible.  Also looking at a wide band 5.5 platinum and can it be sized to a 7.5?  If so what would the cost be for something like this if possible?

Answer
Dear Marjean,

Resizing should be possible and will require cutting the ring where it was brazed(joined together with hard gold solder)  to make it smaller the first time, expanding the circle to a 7.5 and brazing in a matching section of gold large enough to make it a 7.5.  The guard should be able to accept a sizing work if there are no stones at the base of ring where gold needs to be added.  A jeweler really needs to see the rings prior to work being done so you will know if the structure of the guard allows it to be expanded 2.5 sizes which is right about 6.5 mm.  Bowing, stone loosening or warping of the top sections of the guard ring are concerns. Otherwise, it is routine work.  Since prices vary for location and from jeweler to jeweler, it is not wise for me to state a price and then you find the local jewellery charges much more or somewhat less. I can say you may expect a "possible" minimum of $45 for 1 size up with possibly $15 to $28 per added size. The guard will have to be estimated and without seeing it or knowing local price structures I cannot comfortably do that.

As for the platinum band, depending on construction it might be able to be stretched to the larger size.  If the ring must have a piece added(platinum of the same grade welded into place), this work will be substantially higher than for a gold ring because of the higher level of skill and labor intensive finishing work to enlarge platinum with no tell tale signs of work being done when the job is finished. Not all gold workers have the experience and skill to do fine work with platinum.

I believe you would rather have an accurate estimate of what the work will entail and estimated price more than an inaccurate guesstimate from me.  Please go to a higher grade jeweler to have the work done. Their reputation depends in part on high level service and pricing will still be close to that of other jewelers in most cases.

Best wishes with this work. God Bless and Merry Christmas to All.  Thomas.

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Thomas