Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/What's a Black Star of India gemstone worth?

Question

How much is a 1 carat faceted Black Star of India gemstone worth?

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Kari

Answer
That depends if this is a real "Black Star of India" gem, which is the mineral corundum (Al2O3) or if this is a diopside mineral (CaMg(Si2O6)), marketed as an "imitation" black star of india. If you can see the "star" within the stone, you can tell. The inferior diopsides would have 4 armed stars with one star slightly off a 90 degree intercept. Corundum would show 6 armed stars. In rare cases a 12 armed star is observed.

Is your stone really black, or is there another subcolor, such as red, blue, or green?

Is the stone really faceted or is it polished (round or oval)? You can get round / oval, polished REAL black stars of India for about US$30-60/carat.

The polished black diopsides are much less, usually around US$1.00 per carat or less!

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Uwe Richard Kackstaetter, Ph.D. (Dr.K)