Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Ring

Question
QUESTION: My elderly Mother has a ton of Jewelry that she has bought over the years. She is 74 years old. She bought this Odd ring several years ago for about 100.00 The stone is huge, like 18 carats or 24 carats, it is a very light white pinkish stone that looks like Morganite,  The problem is that the ring, which she just noticed is stamped 750 with no other markings, but it is silver, white colored, which looks like white gold, but with no maker marks. The stone is not glass, because we tried to fog it up and it dissipated faster than we could adjust our eyes.  Do you think that just because it does not have a makers mark, that it still could be 750 white gold?  We can try that college that you mentioned for the stone to see what that could be, but the 750 mark being white or light silver has me confused.

ANSWER: Hi Deborah,

While I do not answer questions concerning markings on rings (because it is outside of my field of expertise), 750 could mean 750 out of 1000, where 1000 = 24K pure gold, and 750 = 18K gold. However, this is just an educated guess and I would consult a jeweler for the exact answer to this question.

As far as the stone is concerned I would find it unusual that someone would set glass into a real gold ring. However, trying to fog it in order to conclude about the stone is notoriously unreliable. I would first try a scratch test to see if the stone in the ring scratches glass and how much effort is needed to scratch glass. Do you have to push on it hard to get it to scratch glass or will it scratch a smooth glass surface with little effort?
However, be careful because a scratch test could slightly damage your stone, if the stone is soft !!!

Is there a way to remove the stone temporarily? Then I could instruct you to do another test that could be very telling. Could you also take some pictures? They sometimes help!

Stone
Stone  

pink stone
pink stone  
QUESTION: Thank you.  I have attached two pictures but can send more. The stone looks pinker because it reflected my camera, which is pink, but I got a better picture outside that I am sending.  Again Thank you so much for taking a look. Also in some picture the band looks gold, but it really is not.

Answer
Thank you for the pictures. While I am not an expert in faceting, it looks to me like an "emerald cut". (This is the definition of this particular type of faceting, your stone is NOT an emerald). There are a few possible candidates given the very light pink color and this particular cut. I have them sorted by my perceived probability.
1. Pink Amethyst (SiO2; Quartz variety). These are usually large, like in your picture and are often presented in a "emerald cut".
2. Rose quartz (SiO2; Quartz variety). Also large and "emerald cut". However, I find rose quartz a bit more milky than visible in your pictures.
3. Kunzite ( LiAl(SiO3)2; the pink or purple variety of the lithium bearing spodumene mineral, a pyroxene group mineral). The color would match, except kunzite has more often a "princess cut" rather than an "emerald cut".
4. Morganite (Be3Al2(SiO3)6; the pink variety of the mineral beryl, a cyclosilicate). The color matches nicely. Again the "princess cut" appear more common than the "emerald cut".

Understand that these are just educated guesses from the picture and previous information. It maybe indeed one of these four possibilities, but it could also be something completely different. Since I am not a jeweler, I had to take some educated guesses on the cuts / facets as well. I think you will have to do some further testing to find out for sure. A jeweler might be able to help you further.  

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Uwe Richard Kackstaetter, Ph.D. (Dr.K)