Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Scratched topaz

Topaz brooch
Topaz brooch  
I have an old brooch that has what I believe is a genuine topaz (at least that's what a jeweler told me from looking at it with the naked eye). It has some significant scratching on it and I'm wondering if it can be repaired.  The jeweler didn't want to deal with it (small town...they send everything out)but they suggested I seek more info online.

Colleen, this work will require services of both jeweler and lapidary(gem cutter).  A jeweler is needed to remove the gem from the bezel setting and that must be done with care. When re-cut, the jeweler will need to set the gem into the brooch or other setting of your choice.

Do not expect to easily find a jeweler who has the skill or equipment to cut the gem and remove the deep chips. Even the best jewelers generally use a dedicated stone cutting business for this type of work. The real concern is being able to cut the crown(top) of the stone deep enough to remove the chips, redoing the entire top of the gem without altering the size and shape of the "oval" of the stone. This same shape and size is needed for mounting the stone again in the brooch.

First things first, you need the stone checked by a jeweler with proper appraisal and testing equipment to insure this is a topaz and not a much less costly (albeit quite pretty) gem. A less costly gem will likely not merit the expense of the lapidary work and jewelry work on top of that.  If it proves to be a genuine topaz, the stone may be sent by the jeweler to a stone cutting firm for an estimate of cost and of likely results to weight and shape of the stone.

Colleen, best wishes with your brooch and chipped gem. If you happen to think of if after all is done, please let me know the result. Thanks.

God Bless and Peace.  Thomas.  

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Have a question about jewelry repair or working with precious metal jewelry and gemstones? For many years up to December 31, 2010, I was a working professional bench jeweler, involved everyday with setting stones in mountings, designing and making jewelry, repairing and limited custom manufacture. If you work with jewelry as a hobby or as a profession, I might be able to help. I deal with the retail business, not mass production. Ask privately if you wish. See the box for that: It keeps your question between us. Please DO NOT ask MAKER'S MARKS, but metal quality marks are fine to ask. Please DO NOT ask diamond prices. See a gemologist for that.

I have extensive experience in design, service and making of jewelry. I deal mostly with precious metals and gemstones but work with many materials as needed and usable to create an artistic design. My experience also includes freelance photography and photographer of jewelry and similar items for a former employer and individuals. Design of custom items requires reading the desires of the client and being clear on what can be done within that framework...then fulfilling the transition of idea to reality. Effective communications is essential in a working designer/producer and customer relationship.

Education is English/Physics! Started in human resources, to advertising, to, what a road. I have had formal training in jewelry work and many shared experiences with top grade jewelers. We just never know were we will go or be. Follow your best, your dreams, with some discretion! Don't let the work tear up your body along the way as it has mine.