Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/screw on gems for mothers rings

QUESTION: I have one of these mothers rings that was my mothers and it has the screw on gems.  I would like to add 3 more gems to it.  Do you know where I might be able to have this done.  Thanks.

ANSWER: Dear Lucy,

I have not seen these screw back stone mountings available for many years. You might contact Palomar company and ask if they can help you. Here is their web site address:

I cannot answer this question because I have no idea where to find these nowadays. 25 years ago it was easy. Now, it is like the settings have vanished.  If there are any old jewelry stores in your area, give them a call. This is on the chance they happen to have some on hand.

I wish there was an easier answer!  In years past, I have added gems by taking off the screw on settings, soldering on settings for the new gems, then putting back on the screw on settings. This is a sure way to get the stones added without screw on settings being used.

Best Wishes, God Bless.  Thomas.

Ring with screw on settings.l
Ring with screw on set  

QUESTION: I am attaching pictures of the ring.  I will check with my jewelry, as soon as I can find some free time.  I believe he can solder the settings on as you had suggested.

Dear Lucy,

Thanks for the clear photos. After seeing the ring, I do believe settings may be soldered on for new stones. At the same time, please have the present settings checked to be sure the prongs are secure and not too worn on the gems. Adding stones is a good time to double check the ring and be sure you have many more years of wear remaining.

Oh, we are from the same state by the way.

God Bless and Peace. Have a wonderful spring when it decides to arrive!   Thomas.

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Have a question about jewelry repair or working with precious metal jewelry and gemstones? For many years up to December 31, 2010, I was a working professional bench jeweler, involved everyday with setting stones in mountings, designing and making jewelry, repairing and limited custom manufacture. If you work with jewelry as a hobby or as a profession, I might be able to help. I deal with the retail business, not mass production. Ask privately if you wish. See the box for that: It keeps your question between us. Please DO NOT ask MAKER'S MARKS, but metal quality marks are fine to ask. Please DO NOT ask diamond prices. See a gemologist for that.

I have extensive experience in design, service and making of jewelry. I deal mostly with precious metals and gemstones but work with many materials as needed and usable to create an artistic design. My experience also includes freelance photography and photographer of jewelry and similar items for a former employer and individuals. Design of custom items requires reading the desires of the client and being clear on what can be done within that framework...then fulfilling the transition of idea to reality. Effective communications is essential in a working designer/producer and customer relationship.

Education is English/Physics! Started in human resources, to advertising, to, what a road. I have had formal training in jewelry work and many shared experiences with top grade jewelers. We just never know were we will go or be. Follow your best, your dreams, with some discretion! Don't let the work tear up your body along the way as it has mine.