Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/please send me in right direction

Joanne wrote at 2014-06-01 17:36:21
Like Thomas said, most small rough gemstones are not high enough quality to be made cut and made into the typical sparkling faceted gemstones that can fetch a lot of money. Typically these stones are used as is (to make less expensive jewelry or for metaphysical use - all natural gemstones have particular qualities and some are very powerful in what they can do). They sell small rough gems such as these in metaphysical stores and they are usually between $1-$20 at the most (so unfortunately not worth very much money). That said, Thomas' suggestion of seeking out your local gem society branch or club could be worthwhile. If there are any colleges/universities or places that offer any jewelry courses in your area - that would be a really good place to go (I would contact the professor and he/she could lead you in the best direction and certainly would be able to identify what you have and give you a rough idea of the value). If you are in or near a city, you should have no problem finding these kinds of resources. Furthermore, in the future if you are looking to invest in gemstones - large rough gemstones can be worth a lot of money and consequently can be very difficult to find (some of the countries that these gemstones are from actually prohibit the export of rough that is over a certain carat weight). You want to look for clarity and color when purchasing rough and its really not a good idea to invest in something that you don't know a lot about because you could very easily be swindled. While cut or large rough natural gemstones are typically always pretty good investments, they usually aren't something that you can make a super-quick turnaround on. However, there are a few gemstones out there that are particularly good investments and with a little research (or the help of someone with the right knowledge) you can make some good money. If you would like some personal advising, I can suggest a few gemstones that are VERY good investments right now.  

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Have a question about jewelry repair or working with precious metal jewelry and gemstones? For many years up to December 31, 2010, I was a working professional bench jeweler, involved everyday with setting stones in mountings, designing and making jewelry, repairing and limited custom manufacture. If you work with jewelry as a hobby or as a profession, I might be able to help. I deal with the retail business, not mass production. Ask privately if you wish. See the box for that: It keeps your question between us. Please DO NOT ask MAKER'S MARKS, but metal quality marks are fine to ask. Please DO NOT ask diamond prices. See a gemologist for that.

I have extensive experience in design, service and making of jewelry. I deal mostly with precious metals and gemstones but work with many materials as needed and usable to create an artistic design. My experience also includes freelance photography and photographer of jewelry and similar items for a former employer and individuals. Design of custom items requires reading the desires of the client and being clear on what can be done within that framework...then fulfilling the transition of idea to reality. Effective communications is essential in a working designer/producer and customer relationship.

Education is English/Physics! Started in human resources, to advertising, to, what a road. I have had formal training in jewelry work and many shared experiences with top grade jewelers. We just never know were we will go or be. Follow your best, your dreams, with some discretion! Don't let the work tear up your body along the way as it has mine.