Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Metal jewelry from Liquidation Channel

Question
What is platinum bond brass in jewelry? Does it have nickel or lead in it? Is it known to cause allergic reaction to the wearer?

Answer
Hi Darline,

I am not a jeweler and I would definitely direct your question toward an expert in jewelry, since my background is minerals. However, from the sounds of it the term looks like a sales hype and would be nothing else than taking a brass metal object and plating it with platinum. Since platinum is expensive, this process would use much less of the precious metal to produce a piece of jewelry and would be a much cheaper alternative to the real thing.

As far as the allergic reactions are concerned, that depends what you are allergic to and how sensitive you are to these metals. Nickel allergies are common and some people can not even tolerate traces of the metal. The jewelry industry knows this and has largely abandoned Ni as an additive to jewelry metallurgy. Of course products manufactured outside the US or Europe may still contain these allergic metals.  

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Uwe Richard Kackstaetter, Ph.D. (Dr.K)