Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/ring reconstruction

Question
QUESTION: Hello,
I would like to solder a six prong head on to a shared prong diamond e ring. The stats on the diamond e ring is 12 small 3 point diamonds totaling .5 carats. I think the jeweler could remove the 2 middle diamonds to make room for the head. A complication I see is this ring has already been resized from a 7 to 4.75 and I would like to size down again to 4.5. I can't tell if the prongs were stretched in the first resizing but currently the diamonds look firm.
Another issue I see is the ring has grooves from the shared prongs on the side of the ring. If you solder the new head on the ring Don't you file the sides to smooth it out? I guess I was wondering if the grooves on the side gets filed down too? Do you think this reconstruction can be done and what types of complications do you for  see?
I know I could buy a new setting but I was told I could do this for much cheaper then buying new setting. I appreciate your time and expert opinion and will rate your answer in appreciation. I can also provide pics if needed but couldn't on my tablet. Thank you.

ANSWER: Dear JS,

Depending on how much experience you have doing this sort of work will likely dictate whether you are better making the alterations or going for a new setting.  Perhaps one of the most valuable aspects of experience is being able to discern and correct miscues made in the process so that your  best intentions yield a proud piece of work and not a mess you hold with wonder about "how did it go so wrong".  If there is some way you can pull it off, JS, please send me two photos of the ring including one sharp side view(with grooves showing) and one sharp top view.  A top view might have range of focus problems bug try to get focus on the area where the new crown will go.  Also, let me know if the top of the ring is hollow beneath the stones(stones in a row with thinner sides coming down to complete the circle for the finger).  Believe it or not, a flatbed scanner might do a fine image of a side view.

I look forward to the added information.  From that, I should be able to provide an accurate answer.

God Bless and Peace,  Thomas.

Pic 1
Pic 1  

Pic 2
Pic 2  
QUESTION: Hi Thomas,

Thank you for your informative and thoughtful response. I have a bad camera so I found pics online that look like my ring.
The first pic is what my e ring looks like now. I am sorry I could only upload 2 pics so was not able to upload a pic underneath the stones. But I can tell you that the metal does come down beneath the stones and looks thinner. There is a small hole in the metal directly underneath each stone. Now you have me thinking is this even feasible if it's hollow?
The second pic is one I found on a forum where someone photo shopped a head on to the ring. This is the style I was going for. In this pic the side of the ring is smooth directly under the head but the rest of the grooves are intact. I would be ok with that as long as the head is melted into the ring well.
On another note, do you think the jeweler will have to remove each small stone before putting his torch to it? All this work I was told could be done for about 500.
Thank you for your consideration.

Answer
JS, the holes beneath the diamonds allow for cleaning.

Yes, this does make the ring somewhat less strong at that area but in my experience, it should work fine if the work is properly done. For best strength and security of the new large setting, a small stone section should be removed, taking care to realize this might alter the finger size in the process and a sizing job will need to be done.  The crown should be set into the ring in one of two ways: 1. A bar of metal is brazed across the open area, a small hole drilled to accommodate a "peg style" setting and the setting then brazed in place.  2. The stones directly next to the new setting are removed from the settings and the ends fitted to neatly join with the sides of the new setting and all brazed together.  Either method should be sufficiently strong. Yet, the needed close fitting prior to brazing will not be easy unless the jeweler is experienced.  Please ask the jeweler the method to be used to do the work and be comfortable with the ability to do the work well prior to committing. I would likely use method "2" as a start and see if all is strong enough. If the ring and stone set area is not apparently strong enough, I would then use the more involved method "1" to complete the job.

Thanks for the illustrations. That gives me more clarity in accessing the work to be done.

Get back anytime. God Bless and peace.  Thomas.  

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Thomas