Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/mixing platinum setting with a white 18 karat band

I have an antique engagement ring in platinum.  I wish to purchase 2 eternity rings to surround the diamond engagement ring.  Can I use 18 karat white gold for the eternity rings or should I order the  eternity rings in platinum.   The engagement ring has a 3.5 karat diamond in the center and is surrounded by smaller stones.  The eternity ring is solid band of diamonds totalling 1 karat.   Diamonds are VS and d color.

Dear Paula,

The high karat white gold will work ok but over time differences in how gold and platinum wear will be apparent.  The platinum will get dull in general and the gold will scratch more readily and may(depending on the alloy) start to show a slight yellowish tinge, more so because the whiter platinum metal is beside the white gold.  If price is not a problem,  you are better overall to go with side rings of the same metal as the center ring, all being platinum.

God Bless and Peace.  Thomas.  

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Have a question about jewelry repair or working with precious metal jewelry and gemstones? For many years up to December 31, 2010, I was a working professional bench jeweler, involved everyday with setting stones in mountings, designing and making jewelry, repairing and limited custom manufacture. If you work with jewelry as a hobby or as a profession, I might be able to help. I deal with the retail business, not mass production. Ask privately if you wish. See the box for that: It keeps your question between us. Please DO NOT ask MAKER'S MARKS, but metal quality marks are fine to ask. Please DO NOT ask diamond prices. See a gemologist for that.

I have extensive experience in design, service and making of jewelry. I deal mostly with precious metals and gemstones but work with many materials as needed and usable to create an artistic design. My experience also includes freelance photography and photographer of jewelry and similar items for a former employer and individuals. Design of custom items requires reading the desires of the client and being clear on what can be done within that framework...then fulfilling the transition of idea to reality. Effective communications is essential in a working designer/producer and customer relationship.

Education is English/Physics! Started in human resources, to advertising, to, what a road. I have had formal training in jewelry work and many shared experiences with top grade jewelers. We just never know were we will go or be. Follow your best, your dreams, with some discretion! Don't let the work tear up your body along the way as it has mine.