Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Gold Bracelet

I have a gold bangle bracelet, inside is a inscription " L W F to J W Apr, 8 '09" It has a stamping on it D & C.  I can't find any other markings.  What does the D & C represent?

Marcia, while am expert in jewelry design, custom work and repair, I am not an expert in identification of the literally thousands of manufacturer marks. I will give you help in doing exactly what I would have to do run down a manufacturer's mark.

As for the D & C, there is little doubt that this is the maker's mark.  If this is a hinged bangle, sometimes a stamp is on the tongue end of the clasp but I suspect you have looked there already.  When the particular mark is not known already, the next step is to prowl through listings of makers marks and names.  For instsnce, if you found a D & C stamp listed, the next step is to see if they made bangles in the Victorian time period, about 1835 through early 1900.

The Victorian was chosen because of this: Although the item is already sold, it was said to be Victorian and the mark was D & C.  It is a starting place. Also, compare style and design with bangles from a particular period of time.

The websites below have a lot or information on maker's marks. I recommend you take a look.

Check online sellers and auctions like eBay, too.

Marcia, most experts on this ALLEXPERTS site will not try to identify maker's with whom they are not already familiar. Honestly, it is not worth the time put in, not to the expert or to the questioner.  I look at this sort of search like chasing a rabbit down its trail in the forest. The rabbit ie quite familiar with the patt; we are not.  A turn is rounded and the rabbit is gone, vanished into the brambles or into the woods. So we turn and go, knowing finding that elusive rabbit will be a fruitless search. I hope you are fortunate and come across a mark or maker who would reasonably use those letters to abbreviate the company name.

Sorry, this is the best I can do. Gof Bless and Peace.  Thomas.  

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Have a question about jewelry repair or working with precious metal jewelry and gemstones? For many years up to December 31, 2010, I was a working professional bench jeweler, involved everyday with setting stones in mountings, designing and making jewelry, repairing and limited custom manufacture. If you work with jewelry as a hobby or as a profession, I might be able to help. I deal with the retail business, not mass production. Ask privately if you wish. See the box for that: It keeps your question between us. Please DO NOT ask MAKER'S MARKS, but metal quality marks are fine to ask. Please DO NOT ask diamond prices. See a gemologist for that.

I have extensive experience in design, service and making of jewelry. I deal mostly with precious metals and gemstones but work with many materials as needed and usable to create an artistic design. My experience also includes freelance photography and photographer of jewelry and similar items for a former employer and individuals. Design of custom items requires reading the desires of the client and being clear on what can be done within that framework...then fulfilling the transition of idea to reality. Effective communications is essential in a working designer/producer and customer relationship.

Education is English/Physics! Started in human resources, to advertising, to, what a road. I have had formal training in jewelry work and many shared experiences with top grade jewelers. We just never know were we will go or be. Follow your best, your dreams, with some discretion! Don't let the work tear up your body along the way as it has mine.