Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Ring marking

Hi Thomas I wonder if you could help? I have a sapphire and diamond ring in 18ct gold and it has an unusual stamp on it, it's a cross with numbers in it reads  8
It's hall marked with a crown 750 then a either castle or a face? Then a (small case) it's a really beautiful ring I would very much like to know something about it, I do hope you can help

Many thanks

The best approach is for you to look at recognized hallmarks and compare the marks to those in your ring.  I say this because what you describe is not something I recognize right off. Also, a worn mark may appear to be something it is not. This link takes you to a pdf from the Birmingham Assay Office with images of most marks to be seen:

To see what else is available that might help, go to the assay office website and check out downloads.

There is the possibility of the mark being that of the manufacturer. That should be the first mark if it is a maker's mark.

I do hope this helps. I do not have a listing of the multitude of makers marks.

God Bless and Peace.  Thomas.  

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Have a question about jewelry repair or working with precious metal jewelry and gemstones? For many years up to December 31, 2010, I was a working professional bench jeweler, involved everyday with setting stones in mountings, designing and making jewelry, repairing and limited custom manufacture. If you work with jewelry as a hobby or as a profession, I might be able to help. I deal with the retail business, not mass production. Ask privately if you wish. See the box for that: It keeps your question between us. Please DO NOT ask MAKER'S MARKS, but metal quality marks are fine to ask. Please DO NOT ask diamond prices. See a gemologist for that.

I have extensive experience in design, service and making of jewelry. I deal mostly with precious metals and gemstones but work with many materials as needed and usable to create an artistic design. My experience also includes freelance photography and photographer of jewelry and similar items for a former employer and individuals. Design of custom items requires reading the desires of the client and being clear on what can be done within that framework...then fulfilling the transition of idea to reality. Effective communications is essential in a working designer/producer and customer relationship.

Education is English/Physics! Started in human resources, to advertising, to, what a road. I have had formal training in jewelry work and many shared experiences with top grade jewelers. We just never know were we will go or be. Follow your best, your dreams, with some discretion! Don't let the work tear up your body along the way as it has mine.