Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Ring marking

Question
Hi Thomas I wonder if you could help? I have a sapphire and diamond ring in 18ct gold and it has an unusual stamp on it, it's a cross with numbers in it reads  8
         0.0
         0
It's hall marked with a crown 750 then a either castle or a face? Then a (small case) it's a really beautiful ring I would very much like to know something about it, I do hope you can help

Many thanks

Jacqui

Answer
Jacqui,

The best approach is for you to look at recognized hallmarks and compare the marks to those in your ring.  I say this because what you describe is not something I recognize right off. Also, a worn mark may appear to be something it is not. This link takes you to a pdf from the Birmingham Assay Office with images of most marks to be seen:

http://www.theassayoffice.co.uk/images/pdfs/Hallmark%20guidance%20Notes%20FINAL.

To see what else is available that might help, go to the assay office website and check out downloads.    http://www.theassayoffice.co.uk

There is the possibility of the mark being that of the manufacturer. That should be the first mark if it is a maker's mark.

I do hope this helps. I do not have a listing of the multitude of makers marks.

God Bless and Peace.  Thomas.  

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Thomas