Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/gem repair

Hi I am refitting a deco brooch how do I replace or repair the reflective paint on the gemstone backs?
What product is this ? is it some kind of mirror paint?
It looks bronze on the back and mirror inside the stone?
thanks D

Dave, unfortunately, this gets into the world of definitely nasty and possibly dangerous chemicals.
The wiki answer(link below) tells more than I can explain and will illustrations.  Dave, keep in mind, silvered rhinestones are the older ones. Newer stones use aluminum metal instead of silver. The process is like that of silvering a mirror and unless the particular stone is truly worth the work to re silver the back, you are better to visit a good crafts store or shop "mirror back rhinestones" on the web.  Almost all shapes and colors are available and are quite inexpensive.  A "gentle" adhesive is used for glued-in gems, uv curing glue used for glass repair and watch crystals being the highest quality choice which will not damage the silvered back.

Use a follow-up to get back with me if need be.  Allexperts has been a bit sloppy in getting questions to me in a timely manner and I apologize if this answer is late.  Should you use the follow-up and not find me, please use this personal web site for contact:

Please try allexperts first because they do sponsor this service with volunteer experts and do deserve the first shot.

Thanks again, God Bless and Peace.  Thomas.  

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Have a question about jewelry repair or working with precious metal jewelry and gemstones? For many years up to December 31, 2010, I was a working professional bench jeweler, involved everyday with setting stones in mountings, designing and making jewelry, repairing and limited custom manufacture. If you work with jewelry as a hobby or as a profession, I might be able to help. I deal with the retail business, not mass production. Ask privately if you wish. See the box for that: It keeps your question between us. Please DO NOT ask MAKER'S MARKS, but metal quality marks are fine to ask. Please DO NOT ask diamond prices. See a gemologist for that.

I have extensive experience in design, service and making of jewelry. I deal mostly with precious metals and gemstones but work with many materials as needed and usable to create an artistic design. My experience also includes freelance photography and photographer of jewelry and similar items for a former employer and individuals. Design of custom items requires reading the desires of the client and being clear on what can be done within that framework...then fulfilling the transition of idea to reality. Effective communications is essential in a working designer/producer and customer relationship.

Education is English/Physics! Started in human resources, to advertising, to, what a road. I have had formal training in jewelry work and many shared experiences with top grade jewelers. We just never know were we will go or be. Follow your best, your dreams, with some discretion! Don't let the work tear up your body along the way as it has mine.