Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/course of geology

Question
QUESTION: Dear Mr. Uwe Richard
I want to ask about identification tools of gemstones? I want to buy identification tools of gemstones such as Gemlogis tools, is it good and reliable? If doesn't according to you what identification tools which good and reliable? Thank you.

Kind regard,
Gilang Surya

ANSWER: This is a difficult question to answer. Sure, there are many tools around to do gemstone testing. The problem is interpreting the results given by those instruments correctly. Without proper training this will hardly work and you will come up with erroneous conclusions.

My advise: Before investing in expensive instruments, are there gemology training classes that are offered in your area? This would be a much wiser investment of you resources. Then instrumentation can be purchased wisely based on the knowledge obtained in these classes. Otherwise I fear that you will be rather disappointed in all the available instrumentation.

I hope this helps!

QUESTION: Thank you for any help from Mr. Uwe Richard. Again i am really sorry for disturb you. I just want to make good relationship because your help very friendly and satisfied. Did you teach geology online for common people like me? How much the cost?

Answer
Hi there,

Unfortunately I do not do online education. However, since your interest is in gemstones, you could consider taking the distance learning courses from GIA. Here is a link to their distance learning offerings:
http://www.gia.edu/gem-education/distance#schedules
I hope that might help. They also introduce you to the use of specific instrument.

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Uwe Richard Kackstaetter, Ph.D. (Dr.K)