Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/is stone glass or semi precious gem

my mother and i just sorted out my grandfathers things who had died.I was given this wring. he fought in WWII and was a high ranking seargent. I am trying to decifer if this stone is glass or semi precious. I would just like to know as I pass it down through the generations.

you need to get to that stone to a gemologist or goldsmith or a rock cutter who is reputable...
I would ask before if he will charge you to determine what it is...?
Usually there is no charge for this kind of service unless you want a full appraisal...
And in the possibility that it's a very valuable stone you really don't want to leave it overnight
where there's always a possibility of it being swapped I think in this case it would be very unlikely..any of the 3 categories above should be able to tell you whether it's glass or a stone...
There are tests like refraction and weight that can determine this... Should it seem to be valuable you can always call the Gemological Institute of America...they are located in Carlsbad California you could Google them and find them easy... They could tell you if one of their gemologist is close by
or you could actually send your ring into them...I hope this helps please let me know if you have any more questions
Regards Rolfe

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Rolfe Foxwell

I will answer any questions regarding semi-precious stones or precious stones. I will answer questions regarding mounting both semi-precious and precious stones. I can also answer most questions regarding small manufacturing. I can not answer questions regarding casting or fine jewelry.

I am a small manufacturer of jewelry for semi-precious stones. I have been working in this area for 10 years. Our Major stones are Larimar (from the Caribbean) and Dichroic ( a man made crystal ). The majority of our work is in silver and 14k gold. We do not deal in fine jewelry such as diamonds..