Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Gemstone identification

Necklac 1
Necklac 1  

Neck 2
Neck 2  
I received a rather odd necklace from an ex boyfriend of mine, and I've always been curious what it is. The gemstones themselves are much heavier than they look, and look either pale pink or pale peach. In the sunlight they look almost clear though. I've tried the glass test and I can carve into glass. They reflect off of light beautifully. However a very uninspiring silver clasp appears to have been added into it and they are on a thick strand of some very durable material, but it does not appear to be metal of any kind , so I am apprehensive to assume that the stones are as nice as they seem to me when looking at them on their own apart from the unimpressive accessory parts paired with it.

Hi Rachel,

Gem / mineral assessments are always difficult from pictures alone. I am glad that you did the glass test. At least there is another data point to go by.

From the pictures these look a lot like glass beads. If these are fused quartz glass than would be harder than regular glass and could scratch other glass materials. How hard did you have to push to make the scratch?

Also, a close-up just showing only one of the beads / crystals in high resolution might help me to get down to some more detail.

Hope this helps for starters.

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Uwe Richard Kackstaetter, Ph.D. (Dr.K)

I can answer questions concerning minerals, mineralogy, gems, metals, and anything that has to do with geology. However, I am NOT a jeweler. Questions about values, settings, gem stone cuts and appraisals are best directed to other experts on this site. I can however aide in the identification of unknown mineral materials. As a public service and part as training for new geoscientists, our university department provides FREE mineral identification for individuals. Please contact me for details or go to for details..

I am a professor of applied geology and mineralogy with many hours of field experience. Furthermore, I enjoy recreational gold prospecting and mineral collecting. As a professor I am engaged in research concerning minerals and their occurrence.

Member of the GPAA (Gold Prospectors Association of America) as well as the Association of Environmental Geochemists. Member of the GSA (Geologic Society of America) Member of the AIPG (American Institute of Professional Geologists)

Here is a small sampling: Mineral-rock handbook: Rapid-easy mineral-rock determination : written for anyone interested in minerals and rocks - Proctor, Peterson, and Kackstaetter;Macmillan Pub. Co. (New York and Toronto and New York) Physical Geology Laboratory e-Manual [CD-ROM], Kackstaetter, Earth Science Education LLC Colorado Front Range Self-guided Geology Field Trips, Kackstaetter,

Ph.D. in Applied Geology and Mineralogy. I am actively teaching courses in mineralogy and a variety of field courses with mineral collecting opportunities. Background in precious metal exploration.