Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Gemstone identification

Question
Necklac 1
Necklac 1  

Neck 2
Neck 2  
Hello
I received a rather odd necklace from an ex boyfriend of mine, and I've always been curious what it is. The gemstones themselves are much heavier than they look, and look either pale pink or pale peach. In the sunlight they look almost clear though. I've tried the glass test and I can carve into glass. They reflect off of light beautifully. However a very uninspiring silver clasp appears to have been added into it and they are on a thick strand of some very durable material, but it does not appear to be metal of any kind , so I am apprehensive to assume that the stones are as nice as they seem to me when looking at them on their own apart from the unimpressive accessory parts paired with it.

Answer
Hi Rachel,

Gem / mineral assessments are always difficult from pictures alone. I am glad that you did the glass test. At least there is another data point to go by.

From the pictures these look a lot like glass beads. If these are fused quartz glass than would be harder than regular glass and could scratch other glass materials. How hard did you have to push to make the scratch?

Also, a close-up just showing only one of the beads / crystals in high resolution might help me to get down to some more detail.

Hope this helps for starters.

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Uwe Richard Kackstaetter, Ph.D. (Dr.K)