Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Lacquer on gemstones

Question
I recently dipped a sterling silver and sodalite bracelet in silver cleaner dip for about 2 seconds, and discovered the sodalite must have had a coating rather than being highly polished. Is there a product available to recoat the sodalite back to a high shine, and what would be the best way to apply it?

Answer
Marcia, if there is a rock and gem shop in your area check there first to see if they know local folks who might polish the sodalite for you, creating a natural polish on the gem.  If not, try this spray coating, carefully masking off other areas prior to application:

https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Paint_and_Construction/TES00001814/product.php?gclid=CMjV5cn1ockCFdcYgQodi5oMOQ.

Chemicals in silver tarnish removing dip will attack the minerals in some gems such as sodalite and lapis, removing any shine from a polished stone. This might have happened rather than a coating being removed.   The same methods above apply in this case, polishing preferred to coating if possible.

Best wishes with the restoration. God Bless and Peace.  Thomas.

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Thomas