Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/popped out of the ground..

Question
Metal or ring
Metal or ring  
found this at our cottage..popped out of the ground-one wet day was covered in mud! Cleaned with water and presume it is a ring ??? Any ideas what it really is???

Answer
While jewelry and fashion are outside of my field of expertise, let me give you some possible pointers. I do not think this is a ring. I was thinking more along a hair barrette or other ornate piece with a dowel (wooden or metal), fitting right through the ringed part. Maybe you have a university close by and can take this object to their anthropology / archeology department and tell them your story. Could be that some researcher there might be able to help you. They might also test the type of metal. If it has been in the mud for a while and still looks this nice and shiney you might be looking at a precious or noble metal because it does not seem to be deteriorating. The university might be able to help with this as well.

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Uwe Richard Kackstaetter, Ph.D. (Dr.K)