Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Amethyst pendant

Dear Thomas,

I would like to have a pendant made, just like the pendant in the photograph I've attached, except instead of being made of metal, I want it made entirely of amethyst but exactly in that shape, with all the gaps in the triangles and the gap in the middle and everything.

I can't seem to get a definitive answer on whether or not this is possible with amethyst. Is this something that can be done?

The thing is, I don't make jewellery myself, and so will need to have a jeweller make it for me; and if it isn't possible to make a pendant like this, I'll need to change my design. But I want to know exactly what to ask for before I approach the jeweller, as in my experience people who make custom orders like you to be very straightforward!

I would be very grateful for your help with this question.

Thank you very much,

Tess, yes it can be done but requires a slice of amethyst which is free of defect which could make the carving easily broken.  

Your full answer was sent about 5 minutes prior to this response.

Have a wonderful and safe rest of this week.  Thomas.

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Have a question about jewelry repair or working with precious metal jewelry and gemstones? For many years up to December 31, 2010, I was a working professional bench jeweler, involved everyday with setting stones in mountings, designing and making jewelry, repairing and limited custom manufacture. If you work with jewelry as a hobby or as a profession, I might be able to help. I deal with the retail business, not mass production. Ask privately if you wish. See the box for that: It keeps your question between us. Please DO NOT ask MAKER'S MARKS, but metal quality marks are fine to ask. Please DO NOT ask diamond prices. See a gemologist for that.

I have extensive experience in design, service and making of jewelry. I deal mostly with precious metals and gemstones but work with many materials as needed and usable to create an artistic design. My experience also includes freelance photography and photographer of jewelry and similar items for a former employer and individuals. Design of custom items requires reading the desires of the client and being clear on what can be done within that framework...then fulfilling the transition of idea to reality. Effective communications is essential in a working designer/producer and customer relationship.

Education is English/Physics! Started in human resources, to advertising, to, what a road. I have had formal training in jewelry work and many shared experiences with top grade jewelers. We just never know were we will go or be. Follow your best, your dreams, with some discretion! Don't let the work tear up your body along the way as it has mine.