Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Solid gold bangle re-size

Question
Hi!

I have a solid gold 9ct bangle that I've worn for the last 13years. Unfortunately I can no longer take it off and need to for medical reasons. My only option is to have it cut off. My question is... Would it be possible for the bangle to be sized up? I'd need to increase the size a decent amount maybe 4 or 5cm.

Also can the same be done with a bangle that has hinges? This one might not be solid. And has stones at the top.

Thanks!!

Answer
Drar K,

Any competent jeweler should be able to repair and enlarge the bangle. Ask the office of the surgeon how they plan to remove the bangle. They should use a "ring saw", a saw made specifically for removal of rings and other metal items from patients fingers, etc. The device leaves a clean cut and does little damage to the metal.   Should the surgery team use large clippers, the cut ends will be mangled and substantially more gold will be needed to enlarge and replace the mangled end cuts. A solid section of properly shaped gold will be brazed to the cut ends to enlarge the bangle.

You might want to check with local jewelers first. Most will keep some sort of clean cutting tool on hand and can also give you and estimate on repair.  Ask also about thre hollow bangle then get back with me.  This last sort of enlargement is often complicated and I would like to hear what your jeweler would plan to do then give you my thoughts.

Best wishes with the bangle. Certainly, God Bless and comfortable healing through the medical procedure. I pray that goes easily and well for you.  Thomas.  

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Thomas