Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Turning cufflinks into earrings?

Hi, my question is it possible to turn cufflinks like the ones in the photo into earrings and how?

Danielle, it is possible but not easy.  The back must be removed generally by sawing it away followed with smoothing that area. Likely, the base metal will be exposed and depending on what that metal is, tarnish could present a problem.

The best approach is to make the links into dangle earrings, keeping the back of the discs away from the ear directly.  A skilled jeweler will then drill a small hole through the rim of the disc,at an angle  to avoid the colored area.  A metal loop will  go through the hole and a dangle earring attachment goes to that.   If the colored area is a plastic epoxy type of material, it may be necessary to drill the hole through the top of the red area to allow a larger hole and a sturdier loop to the disc.

There are also sterling ear posts with a flat disc on one end which may be cemented to the back of the disc. Whether a glue on back will work depends in part on the weight of the disc from the cuff link.

None of these arrangements are ideal but the construction of the disc and the colored filler material will likely be destroyed by soldering on an ear post or loop for a dangle.

I have seen this star symbol before but do not recall exactly where.

Best wishes with the conversion. I suggest you see a reputable local jeweler to have the work done.

God Bless and Peace.  Thomas.  

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Have a question about jewelry repair or working with precious metal jewelry and gemstones? For many years up to December 31, 2010, I was a working professional bench jeweler, involved everyday with setting stones in mountings, designing and making jewelry, repairing and limited custom manufacture. If you work with jewelry as a hobby or as a profession, I might be able to help. I deal with the retail business, not mass production. Ask privately if you wish. See the box for that: It keeps your question between us. Please DO NOT ask MAKER'S MARKS, but metal quality marks are fine to ask. Please DO NOT ask diamond prices. See a gemologist for that.

I have extensive experience in design, service and making of jewelry. I deal mostly with precious metals and gemstones but work with many materials as needed and usable to create an artistic design. My experience also includes freelance photography and photographer of jewelry and similar items for a former employer and individuals. Design of custom items requires reading the desires of the client and being clear on what can be done within that framework...then fulfilling the transition of idea to reality. Effective communications is essential in a working designer/producer and customer relationship.

Education is English/Physics! Started in human resources, to advertising, to, what a road. I have had formal training in jewelry work and many shared experiences with top grade jewelers. We just never know were we will go or be. Follow your best, your dreams, with some discretion! Don't let the work tear up your body along the way as it has mine.