Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/gold markings

Hi, what does the GI stand for when something is marked 10kG.I.? Is it genuine 10k gold? Thanks

Dear Brenda, thanks for the question and I hope you are having a fine day.

The G.I. is likely the initials of the manufacturer.  It is not one of the Federally recognized marks for gold. The 10k is a recognized mark. The ring judging from the stamp should be 10K gold.  If you want to be totally certain there is not some sort of trickiness going on, you can have a jeweler test the gold.

Without the item in my hands, I cannot test it for absolute certainty of the metal quality.

God Bless and Peace.   Thomas.  

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Have a question about jewelry repair or working with precious metal jewelry and gemstones? For many years up to December 31, 2010, I was a working professional bench jeweler, involved everyday with setting stones in mountings, designing and making jewelry, repairing and limited custom manufacture. If you work with jewelry as a hobby or as a profession, I might be able to help. I deal with the retail business, not mass production. Ask privately if you wish. See the box for that: It keeps your question between us. Please DO NOT ask MAKER'S MARKS, but metal quality marks are fine to ask. Please DO NOT ask diamond prices. See a gemologist for that.

I have extensive experience in design, service and making of jewelry. I deal mostly with precious metals and gemstones but work with many materials as needed and usable to create an artistic design. My experience also includes freelance photography and photographer of jewelry and similar items for a former employer and individuals. Design of custom items requires reading the desires of the client and being clear on what can be done within that framework...then fulfilling the transition of idea to reality. Effective communications is essential in a working designer/producer and customer relationship.

Education is English/Physics! Started in human resources, to advertising, to, what a road. I have had formal training in jewelry work and many shared experiences with top grade jewelers. We just never know were we will go or be. Follow your best, your dreams, with some discretion! Don't let the work tear up your body along the way as it has mine.