Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Mounting stones on a ring

Question
N/A
N/A  
Sorry to make this so long. I have a nice ring that needs 6 stones mounted into it. However, I just wanted to know what kind of stones can be used? The middle ring is the only one with prongs and doesn't need any stones. It is missing 6 but they are small and I think they are simulated diamonds or rhinestones but am not sure.  I uploaded a copy of a picture of the ring so you can see what it looks like and if you can tell from the picture. If you can't help me, do you know of anyone who can? Thanks.

Answer
Hi Nora,
This question may be best posted to a jeweler. If you want to stay with white / clear stones I think cubic zirconia (CZ) (ZrO2) is probably your best bet. These CZ cut stones are very inexpensive and very closely resemble diamonds. Wholesale prices for small (4mm x 4mm) CZ of high brilliance run about $50 for 100 pieces = $0.50/stone. Your jeweler will probably have a significant mark-up on those prices but it gives you a ball park.

Hope this helps.

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Uwe Richard Kackstaetter, Ph.D. (Dr.K)