Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/ring

what is the classification of a ring marked 975 CZ is it white gold or platinum or just another metal
The ring has a diamond set in

Dear Peter,

The ring is likely sterling silver and the mark may be actually 925, the numerical marking for sterling which is in the alloy 92.5% pure silver mixed with another metal to make it tough enough for jewelry.  The other metal is (generally but not always) copper.

If the mark is actually 975, it is not a standard alloy of silver, gold or platinum.  

The CZ almost always a stamp to help customers know the stone is cubic zirconium, a popular simulated diamond.  The CZ is not a legal mark since stones may be changed out.  It is marked for information purposes only, not a guarantee of what the stone is.

I do hope this helps.  Thanks for asking. God Bless and Peace..   Thomas.

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Have a question about jewelry repair or working with precious metal jewelry and gemstones? For many years up to December 31, 2010, I was a working professional bench jeweler, involved everyday with setting stones in mountings, designing and making jewelry, repairing and limited custom manufacture. If you work with jewelry as a hobby or as a profession, I might be able to help. I deal with the retail business, not mass production. Ask privately if you wish. See the box for that: It keeps your question between us. Please DO NOT ask MAKER'S MARKS, but metal quality marks are fine to ask. Please DO NOT ask diamond prices. See a gemologist for that.

I have extensive experience in design, service and making of jewelry. I deal mostly with precious metals and gemstones but work with many materials as needed and usable to create an artistic design. My experience also includes freelance photography and photographer of jewelry and similar items for a former employer and individuals. Design of custom items requires reading the desires of the client and being clear on what can be done within that framework...then fulfilling the transition of idea to reality. Effective communications is essential in a working designer/producer and customer relationship.

Education is English/Physics! Started in human resources, to advertising, to, what a road. I have had formal training in jewelry work and many shared experiences with top grade jewelers. We just never know were we will go or be. Follow your best, your dreams, with some discretion! Don't let the work tear up your body along the way as it has mine.