Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Diamond chip

Is it possible to tell if a chip on a diamond has recently been done or has been there for a while?  I put my ring into a jewellers store to get a new shank and it has come back with a chip on it.  The jeweller says it was there before he done any work.  So he wants to send to a Gemologist to prove it has been there for a while.  Any advise would be very helpful.  Thank you

Dear Carrie,

To the best of my knowledge examination of a chip in a gemstone is not going to provide an answer on the age of a chip.  Either the jeweler does not know the truth of the matter or is being on the other side of honest to avoid any responsibility for the chip.

All would have been very clear if only the chip would have been noted on paperwork prior to work being done.  This makes me ask, it the chip was there in the beginning, obviously "seen" if they "know" is was an old injury to the diamond, why did they NOT note this condition prior to doing any work?

Diamond is quite hard and does not wear much at all over time. A chip CAN  happen from the shock of a strike to a vulnerable area.  I do not believe examination by a gemologist will provide an answer. The whole statement appears a show of ignorance or a ruse. To confirm my thoughts, please look for a jeweler with "certified gemologist" in their advertising, give a phone call, ask the gemologist  if he( or she) is able to look and know if a chip is new or old.

If I an wrong on this, I will eat crow and apologize mightily.

God Bless and Peace.  Thomas.

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Have a question about jewelry repair or working with precious metal jewelry and gemstones? For many years up to December 31, 2010, I was a working professional bench jeweler, involved everyday with setting stones in mountings, designing and making jewelry, repairing and limited custom manufacture. If you work with jewelry as a hobby or as a profession, I might be able to help. I deal with the retail business, not mass production. Ask privately if you wish. See the box for that: It keeps your question between us. Please DO NOT ask MAKER'S MARKS, but metal quality marks are fine to ask. Please DO NOT ask diamond prices. See a gemologist for that.

I have extensive experience in design, service and making of jewelry. I deal mostly with precious metals and gemstones but work with many materials as needed and usable to create an artistic design. My experience also includes freelance photography and photographer of jewelry and similar items for a former employer and individuals. Design of custom items requires reading the desires of the client and being clear on what can be done within that framework...then fulfilling the transition of idea to reality. Effective communications is essential in a working designer/producer and customer relationship.

Education is English/Physics! Started in human resources, to advertising, to, what a road. I have had formal training in jewelry work and many shared experiences with top grade jewelers. We just never know were we will go or be. Follow your best, your dreams, with some discretion! Don't let the work tear up your body along the way as it has mine.