Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/how to make a hole in a gold nugget

Hello !
I love to make my jewelry as a hobby.  I received a nice gift of a few gold nuggets ( very small ) and am thinking to string them and make a necklace for me.  The question is:  HOW to make a hole in a gold nugget as well in gemstones, without cracking them or braking them.  A hole big enough to pass a string.
Could you help me with this answer, please?

Dear Heloise,

For drilling gold nuggets, you need a better quality steel drill bit and it is best used in a small hand held tool like a variable speed Dremel™ tool or other brand of rotary hand tool. Go relatively slowly and use water to cool the bit if need be. Avoid any mineral or stone you see in the nugget.

Gemstones call for diamond coated drill bits and a set up to keep all rigid and cooled and lubed with water, a process many more times difficult than drilling metal such as gold. For more on that, get back with me when think you are ready and I will give the rest of the info needed.

God Bless and Peace.  Thomas.

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Have a question about jewelry repair or working with precious metal jewelry and gemstones? For many years up to December 31, 2010, I was a working professional bench jeweler, involved everyday with setting stones in mountings, designing and making jewelry, repairing and limited custom manufacture. If you work with jewelry as a hobby or as a profession, I might be able to help. I deal with the retail business, not mass production. Ask privately if you wish. See the box for that: It keeps your question between us. Please DO NOT ask MAKER'S MARKS, but metal quality marks are fine to ask. Please DO NOT ask diamond prices. See a gemologist for that.

I have extensive experience in design, service and making of jewelry. I deal mostly with precious metals and gemstones but work with many materials as needed and usable to create an artistic design. My experience also includes freelance photography and photographer of jewelry and similar items for a former employer and individuals. Design of custom items requires reading the desires of the client and being clear on what can be done within that framework...then fulfilling the transition of idea to reality. Effective communications is essential in a working designer/producer and customer relationship.

Education is English/Physics! Started in human resources, to advertising, to, what a road. I have had formal training in jewelry work and many shared experiences with top grade jewelers. We just never know were we will go or be. Follow your best, your dreams, with some discretion! Don't let the work tear up your body along the way as it has mine.