Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Casting silver with a gemstone in the mold

Question
Hi, I'm looking to cast a pendant for myself in fine silver and I was wondering if it would be safe to do so with the stone I want to set in it in the mold?

Answer
Dear Andrea,

The secret to casting gemstones in place pretty much comes down to two factors:1. Temperature control in burnout and cooldown  2. Type of gemstone.

Sudden changes in temperature is a quick way to fracture a gemstone.  Some gems simply will not take the process without damage or discoloration.

I am doing what I generally do not do and that is let web information be the primary answer. Why do this?  The information is valid and from reputable sources I have used in the past.  Plus, with these three links, you will gain a wealth of knowledge on the subject.

OPINION: I do not know why you want to cast stone in place rather than casting the setting, finishing and using standard methods to set the gem. This is much safer with low chance of stone damage, overall less troublesome and likely less time consuming than casting in place.

Andrea, if after reading the information at the links provided you want to set the gemstone and not cast in place, please feel free to get back with me with a look at the design ( or close photo of cast setting), information about the stone including what it is, etc.  I should be able to help you get through that stone setting process.

Here are links to good information on casting in place:

http://technical-articles.hooverandstrong.com/wordpress/casting-with-gemstones/

http://www.unitedpmr.com/casting_gemstones_set_in_wax.php

http://www.preciousmetalswest.com/stonein.php

God Bless and Peace.  Thomas.

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Thomas