Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/curved stone

First Pic
First Pic  

Second Pic
Second Pic  
Dear professor,
a very nice hand curved statue, but is the stone material Jade and is it from the rare stone?

Many thanks for your help.

Hi Tariq

It is always difficult to answer this question without having the actual specimen. Assuming that the color of the rock is reproduced correctly the top picture might be Jade, but it is still difficult to tell. The term "Jade" is used as a disambiguous term referring usually to two minerals. One is the mineral nephrite which is a greenish mineral belonging to the amphibole mineral group. Amphiboles are often fibrous which can be seen under magnification. The other mineral often traded as Jade is actually the mineral jadeite which belongs to the pyroxene mineral group. The pyroxene jadeite does NOT appear fibrous under magnification. But there are also many minerals traded as Jade that are NOT real Jade.

Another possibility for your sample might be aventurine, a green form of quartz, characterised by its translucency and the presence of platy mineral inclusions that give a shimmering or glistening effect.

There are many tests you can do yourself. Here is a website that might be helpful:

Hopefully this helps answer your question somewhat. If your are really interested in a FREE identification of your specimen, including a several page report, you can give the outreach project of our university a try. Details are found here:

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Uwe Richard Kackstaetter, Ph.D. (Dr.K)

I can answer questions concerning minerals, mineralogy, gems, metals, and anything that has to do with geology. However, I am NOT a jeweler. Questions about values, settings, gem stone cuts and appraisals are best directed to other experts on this site. I can however aide in the identification of unknown mineral materials. As a public service and part as training for new geoscientists, our university department provides FREE mineral identification for individuals. Please contact me for details or go to for details..

I am a professor of applied geology and mineralogy with many hours of field experience. Furthermore, I enjoy recreational gold prospecting and mineral collecting. As a professor I am engaged in research concerning minerals and their occurrence.

Member of the GPAA (Gold Prospectors Association of America) as well as the Association of Environmental Geochemists. Member of the GSA (Geologic Society of America) Member of the AIPG (American Institute of Professional Geologists)

Here is a small sampling: Mineral-rock handbook: Rapid-easy mineral-rock determination : written for anyone interested in minerals and rocks - Proctor, Peterson, and Kackstaetter;Macmillan Pub. Co. (New York and Toronto and New York) Physical Geology Laboratory e-Manual [CD-ROM], Kackstaetter, Earth Science Education LLC Colorado Front Range Self-guided Geology Field Trips, Kackstaetter,

Ph.D. in Applied Geology and Mineralogy. I am actively teaching courses in mineralogy and a variety of field courses with mineral collecting opportunities. Background in precious metal exploration.