Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/White gold ring

What are the reasons to break edge/top of a clause/prone white gold diamond ring?

Dear Zulfikar,

Diamonds are the hardest natural material but are not totally resistant to breakage. If the girdle or edge of a gem is thin or a corner is thin and sharp, these portions my be broken or fractured.
For instance, when princess cutting style first became popular, jewelers often chipped the corners while setting the gems into metal jewelry.  When it was practiced to make the setting to prevent direct pressure on the sharp corners, breakage was reduced almost altogether.  A hard blow or strike can make a diamond fracture along natural directions of separation in the crystal; internal flaws may weaken a portion of the gem and many other conditions and events may lead to break of a diamond.

Diamonds are very difficult to scratch but will break, chip and fracture.

I hope this information helps, even when I do not know any  specific details if you are thinking of a particular situation.

God Bless and Peace.  Thomas.

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Have a question about jewelry repair or working with precious metal jewelry and gemstones? For many years up to December 31, 2010, I was a working professional bench jeweler, involved everyday with setting stones in mountings, designing and making jewelry, repairing and limited custom manufacture. If you work with jewelry as a hobby or as a profession, I might be able to help. I deal with the retail business, not mass production. Ask privately if you wish. See the box for that: It keeps your question between us. Please DO NOT ask MAKER'S MARKS, but metal quality marks are fine to ask. Please DO NOT ask diamond prices. See a gemologist for that.

I have extensive experience in design, service and making of jewelry. I deal mostly with precious metals and gemstones but work with many materials as needed and usable to create an artistic design. My experience also includes freelance photography and photographer of jewelry and similar items for a former employer and individuals. Design of custom items requires reading the desires of the client and being clear on what can be done within that framework...then fulfilling the transition of idea to reality. Effective communications is essential in a working designer/producer and customer relationship.

Education is English/Physics! Started in human resources, to advertising, to, what a road. I have had formal training in jewelry work and many shared experiences with top grade jewelers. We just never know were we will go or be. Follow your best, your dreams, with some discretion! Don't let the work tear up your body along the way as it has mine.