Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Coral Necklace

Question
Coral
Coral  
Hi Thomas,
I have a coral necklace that I bought in Italy in 1974. Probably 30 years ago I tried to clean it and it faded terribly and ended up with a whitish coating. I don't remember what I used. It's a branch-strung piece.

I just pulled it out of the drawer and thought I would try to see if I could salvage it. I read your reply about a coral necklace that had been damaged by cleaning.

I've rubbed a branch or two with a t-shirt cloth and the whitish-ness does go away and the color returns and the coral looks nice. I'm going to have to unstring it to clean it all. Is there a better cloth for cleaning and rubbing or any polish to shine it up that I could use?

Thanks,
TC

Answer
Dear Theresa,

Try the t-shirt cloth with a touch of paste acrylic plastic cleaner.  I cannot guarantee how well it will work with your coral but is worth a try. Then rinse in diluted dish detergent and rinse very well, pat dry. You might have to find this at an auto parts or hardware business.

Best wishes, God Bless and peace.  Thomas.

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Thomas