Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/gold ring

Recently we were in Thailand and purchased a ring that we were told was 18k gold.  There are no markings on the inside of the ring.  I am concerned that we were misinformed.  Are gold markings standard throughout the world?  Is it possible that this is 18k gold even without a marking?  How can I tell?  Thank you in advance for your answer.

Dear Jodi, considering the quality stamp of 18k is a selling point, it makes little sense not to have that on a legitimate item made of 18k(750) gold.

Markings are NOT standardized throughout the world.  Items imported into this country and into many other countries must meet the marking standards of that country but a vendor on location may often claim an item is this or that without substantiation.  I am not saying your ring is not 18k but rather that you need to have the metal tested by a reputable jeweler. A basic electronic or acid comparison test will give you the answer.  Any more I say would be guesswork and and my position is not one of guessing. Contact a few jewelers to see which will do the test and for what charge, then go have the ring tested.  You will then know the truth of the matter.

I have seen jewelry from Thailand, India and other countries which was not stamped but tested to be karat gold. Is your ring 18k or were you deceived? The test will provide the answer to both.

Best wishes, God Bless.  Thomas.

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Have a question about jewelry repair or working with precious metal jewelry and gemstones? For many years up to December 31, 2010, I was a working professional bench jeweler, involved everyday with setting stones in mountings, designing and making jewelry, repairing and limited custom manufacture. If you work with jewelry as a hobby or as a profession, I might be able to help. I deal with the retail business, not mass production. Ask privately if you wish. See the box for that: It keeps your question between us. Please DO NOT ask MAKER'S MARKS, but metal quality marks are fine to ask. Please DO NOT ask diamond prices. See a gemologist for that.

I have extensive experience in design, service and making of jewelry. I deal mostly with precious metals and gemstones but work with many materials as needed and usable to create an artistic design. My experience also includes freelance photography and photographer of jewelry and similar items for a former employer and individuals. Design of custom items requires reading the desires of the client and being clear on what can be done within that framework...then fulfilling the transition of idea to reality. Effective communications is essential in a working designer/producer and customer relationship.

Education is English/Physics! Started in human resources, to advertising, to, what a road. I have had formal training in jewelry work and many shared experiences with top grade jewelers. We just never know were we will go or be. Follow your best, your dreams, with some discretion! Don't let the work tear up your body along the way as it has mine.