Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/hallmark on ring

I have a ring stamped on the inside BLU-BFIL 14K.  Ring is yellow gold in color and has what look like deep red garnets in a flower setting. I'm not sure if the BFIL means gold filled, but since it has 14K, I'm just not sure.  Thanks for your help

Dear Liz,  If we go by legal stamping methods in the USA. the ring is 14k gold and the maker is registered (somewhere) by the abbreviation BLU-BFIL.  Items imported legally are supposed to meet the same standards.  Oddly, the law does not require a gold ring to be marked with karat. The law does however require that if a jewelry item is marked as gold or another precious metal, the manufacturer must put their mark near the metal quality mark. This is sort of like signing a check and in doing so stating the check is valid.  The maker must if brought into question is liable  that the metal mark is accurate.  

Gold filled is a gf and also shows what part of the item is actually the gold layer. GF is not filled with gold but is base metal layered on the outside with a specified quality of gold.  The layer is much, much thicker and more durable than gold plated.  For instance, a mark of 1/20 12k gf as might  be seen on old gold colored eyeglass frames means the gold layer is 12k gold and is 1/20 the weight of the total metal content. Confusing? Yes.  

I feel confident you have a 14k ring but have no way to identify the maker consider4ing most are outsourced or imported in the first place in business done today.

Have a jeweler check the metal to be totally certain that the mark is accurate and valid.

Thanks,Liz, God Bless and Peace to you.  Thomas.

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Have a question about jewelry repair or working with precious metal jewelry and gemstones? For many years up to December 31, 2010, I was a working professional bench jeweler, involved everyday with setting stones in mountings, designing and making jewelry, repairing and limited custom manufacture. If you work with jewelry as a hobby or as a profession, I might be able to help. I deal with the retail business, not mass production. Ask privately if you wish. See the box for that: It keeps your question between us. Please DO NOT ask MAKER'S MARKS, but metal quality marks are fine to ask. Please DO NOT ask diamond prices. See a gemologist for that.

I have extensive experience in design, service and making of jewelry. I deal mostly with precious metals and gemstones but work with many materials as needed and usable to create an artistic design. My experience also includes freelance photography and photographer of jewelry and similar items for a former employer and individuals. Design of custom items requires reading the desires of the client and being clear on what can be done within that framework...then fulfilling the transition of idea to reality. Effective communications is essential in a working designer/producer and customer relationship.

Education is English/Physics! Started in human resources, to advertising, to, what a road. I have had formal training in jewelry work and many shared experiences with top grade jewelers. We just never know were we will go or be. Follow your best, your dreams, with some discretion! Don't let the work tear up your body along the way as it has mine.