Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/White Opal pendant

Hi Rod,
it's Kavinda from Sri Lanka, i questioned you about a Black opal sometime back and this time I've come across an Opal pendant which my grandfather had given my mother about 35 years ago it's possible that my grandfather had it for much longer as he was a gem merchant. it's an Australian opal set in 14K yellow Gold, the supporting stones could be either Garnets or Spinels.

the Opal is about 21x16x2.5mm, about 4.8 carats.
I know that it's difficult to determine the quality and value of an Opal by looking at images. but i'd like to know in your opinion whether this is a good Opal and how much it might worth?

Thanks and Regards

Hi Kavinda,

Thanks for your question, yes it does look much older than 35 yrs judging the setting and the polish ...Its most likely a Coober Pedy South Australian Opal, possibly from the "12 mile...however if its more than 20-30 yrs older it is  possible that its a white cliffs opal NSW and the First Major Opal fields. Without seeing and holding it , you are correct .. its v difficult . But that helps noone , so I can only give you a range  and that would be from $80 - $170 per carat ..I would value it more if it were set in 18k  as one would'nt set a high quality stone in 14k. Despite that, it seems a nice vintage piece with and no visible cracks evident , a few small marks and a semi cabochon. I hope that helps you ... Do you have anything to do with stones in Sri Lanka now days ? I was thinking to visit there oneday ..My dad went there when it was Ceylon ...he said its great .best regards Rod  

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Rod Keady

all info pertaining to australian opals and opal fields is ok. online valuations is difficult but not entirely impossible. Photographs of stones should clearly show weight in carats and scale in mm. naturally photographs of opals are the hardest thing to take as a slight shift in direction displays a new colour or plane

Born into a pioneering opal family , now 48 yrs old , visited every opal field in australia, seen some of the finest stones ever produced . Sold high quality gems to japanese collectors and europeans and Americans
Have an incredible photogallery of opals ...try me !

The Directory of Australian Opal Dealers AGIOA Basel Gem Fair
Iwaki Dinosaur Fair Ibaragi Prefecture Japan
International Jewelry Tokyo .
Hong Kong Jewellery Show , Bankok Jewellery Show, Hiroshima Exhibition of Fine Gems, Tokyo International Jewellery Fair . various gem and jewellery WEBSITES

Sydney Grammar School graduate