Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/tube setting

Question
shalas work
shalas work  
Hello

I'm writing in regards to a soldering question. I would like to solder tube settings for diamonds to a bezel for a ring or necklace and was wondering if I could set the diamond before soldering the tube settings on. The reason I ask is the last time I did this the solder came up to lip of the tube so when I went to set my stone it was very difficult in that area. I'm a beg/inter jewelry artist, so please forgive me if I sound like a novice because I am.

Cheers,
Shala

Answer
Dear Shala,

I really like your jewelry in the photo.  The "wrap" of gold is quite effective in eye appeal and from what I can see, it look nicely crafted.

Yes, if the diamonds are relatively free of obvious flaws and not fracture filled, soldering mounted should be just fine.  Try not to allow the heat to dwell on the stones because small one can become red hot quite quickly and you do not want to burn and cloud the surface.

Solder heated to a small ball placed against the side of the tube, touching the tube and metal to which it is soldered. will with heat around and below flow to the base and around the joining area.

Also, whit-out (not the water based kind, use solvent based) carefully put where you do not want solder will definitely keep the solder from flowing where the whit-out is on the metal.  Let it dry completely first then solder.

Let me know how it goes.  Send a picture if you want to do that.  Very few jewelers who actually do the work contact me. People mostly have questions about jewelry but not on jewelry making. This is a joy!

God Bless and Peace.  Thomas.

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Thomas