Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Wearability

The Ring
The Ring  
I want this ring.  However is it possible to wear this ring everyday.  Will I have to replace diamonds every year?

I'm not a princess...I am a Mom and work full time, there is nothing I don't lift, carry, wash.  Just concerned as this is very expensive and I do not want to ever take it off.  What do you recommend??

Dear Noelle,

I have yet to see diamond ring covered in pave'(or prongs to simulate pave' setting) which kept all the stones for a year or even for a few minutes in an ultrasonic cleaner. At least a few would be lost.  The advantage this ring has is the metal: platinum.   Platinum wears very well over time and also may be more  tightly compressed to the stones in the settings, making for a more secure setting overall in the first place.

This might seem strange, but I suggest contacting the seller and asking a couple of questions given shortly below.

Generally wearing a ring all the time is not a good idea since wear and the effects of soil between stones and prongs is not noticed unless a ring is cleaned often and is free of soap build up as from the shower, hand washing dishes, washing hair, soil from a flower garden, etc.  Regular professional cleaning gives opportunity for a jeweler to check gems for tightness in the settings.  This gives the first question:
1) "Rings with small diamonds all over the surface will often loose gems when cleaned with an ultrasonic cleaner. Can this ring be regularly cleaned with an ultrasonic without losing stones? If you recommend against ultrasonic cleaning, how do I keep the ring clean behind the stones and have stone security checked?"

My personal recommendation is not to wear this style of fancy ring everyday in all the conditions a day(after day, after day) will bring.

2)"Do you have any guarantee regarding replacement of lost diamonds from normal wear and cleaning?"

Initial security of the diamonds is easily checked by placing the ring in a small zip lock baggie  filled with cleaning solution and all put in the ultrasonic.  If any gems come out, all is in the baggie and not lost in the tank of liquid.

The answers the seller gives will help you decide if you want to make this purchase.

Thank for the question, Noelle.  God Bless and Peace.  Thomas.  

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Have a question about jewelry repair or working with precious metal jewelry and gemstones? For many years up to December 31, 2010, I was a working professional bench jeweler, involved everyday with setting stones in mountings, designing and making jewelry, repairing and limited custom manufacture. If you work with jewelry as a hobby or as a profession, I might be able to help. I deal with the retail business, not mass production. Ask privately if you wish. See the box for that: It keeps your question between us. Please DO NOT ask MAKER'S MARKS, but metal quality marks are fine to ask. Please DO NOT ask diamond prices. See a gemologist for that.

I have extensive experience in design, service and making of jewelry. I deal mostly with precious metals and gemstones but work with many materials as needed and usable to create an artistic design. My experience also includes freelance photography and photographer of jewelry and similar items for a former employer and individuals. Design of custom items requires reading the desires of the client and being clear on what can be done within that framework...then fulfilling the transition of idea to reality. Effective communications is essential in a working designer/producer and customer relationship.

Education is English/Physics! Started in human resources, to advertising, to, what a road. I have had formal training in jewelry work and many shared experiences with top grade jewelers. We just never know were we will go or be. Follow your best, your dreams, with some discretion! Don't let the work tear up your body along the way as it has mine.