Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Mineral Indentification

Question
Streaks 1
Streaks 1  

Streaks 2
Streaks 2  
This stone was spotted half buried by the side of a highway in Southern California. I'm curious about what kind of stone it is and the cause of the streaks in the stone.

Answer
Hi Amy,
Unfortunately your pictures are very fuzzy and I can only postulate or speculate about your rock. It looks like that you have found a piece of "graphic granite". A good place for these type of rocks in Southern California is the Raniona Pegmatite district in and around San Diego County.
The streaks you are seeing is the mineral quartz (SiO2) that crystallizes simultaneously with potassium feldspar or orthoclase (KAlSi3O8) deep underground in a magma chamber. Quartz would be the clear streaks and the pink looking mineral is the orthoclase. Since these two minerals start to unmix as the grow in the molten rock, quartz has the tendency to crystallize in elongated streaks. In Southern California these type of rocks can contain gemstones. Famous are blue and watermelon tourmaline in the Pala District of Southern California.
Hope this helps!

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Uwe Richard Kackstaetter, Ph.D. (Dr.K)