Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/sapphire and diamond ring

I was going through my Moms things and came across a ring that has a large square sapphire and is surrounded by diamonds. The box says " the vanderbilt jewel". It seems to be very old, box and all.
How can I tell if it is worth something??
Thank You in advance

Donna, trying to value jewelry without having it in hand is very risky and very like not accurate.  The best approach is to try a jeweler with credentials to do appraisals. GIA is the most basic.  Do not rely on someone who doesw not have credentials! They will check gemstones and metals for "what it really is" and overall give a value to the ring.

Sorry, I am too thorough to guess long distance on a value.

If you do not want to pay for a certified appraisal, search for Vanderbilt Jewel among the many on line vintage jewelry sellers ans try to find something quite close to what you have. This would be only ballpark valuation at best.

God Bless and Peace.  Thomas.  ( had to come back and corrct a typo...I had Gog instead of God in the signature.  

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Have a question about jewelry repair or working with precious metal jewelry and gemstones? For many years up to December 31, 2010, I was a working professional bench jeweler, involved everyday with setting stones in mountings, designing and making jewelry, repairing and limited custom manufacture. If you work with jewelry as a hobby or as a profession, I might be able to help. I deal with the retail business, not mass production. Ask privately if you wish. See the box for that: It keeps your question between us. Please DO NOT ask MAKER'S MARKS, but metal quality marks are fine to ask. Please DO NOT ask diamond prices. See a gemologist for that.

I have extensive experience in design, service and making of jewelry. I deal mostly with precious metals and gemstones but work with many materials as needed and usable to create an artistic design. My experience also includes freelance photography and photographer of jewelry and similar items for a former employer and individuals. Design of custom items requires reading the desires of the client and being clear on what can be done within that framework...then fulfilling the transition of idea to reality. Effective communications is essential in a working designer/producer and customer relationship.

Education is English/Physics! Started in human resources, to advertising, to, what a road. I have had formal training in jewelry work and many shared experiences with top grade jewelers. We just never know were we will go or be. Follow your best, your dreams, with some discretion! Don't let the work tear up your body along the way as it has mine.