Jewelry Making/Sizing ring down 1 1/2 sizes w/ baguettes

Emily Benoist Ruffin wrote at 2013-03-14 15:06:40
The questioner clearly stated that the ring needed to be sized smaller 1.5 sizes, so I'm not sure why all the talk about how many grams need to be added, checking prices with Kitco, etc. is necessary,

Also, I might add that it is quite possible that reducing a ring by 1.5 sizes could quite possibly affect the baguette settings at the top of the ring depending on which direction the baguettes are running and how much metal is holding them. They are generally held  by the short ends and if running lengthwise with the shank, the lengthening of the mountings for the baguettes when the ring is brought back round after reduction could pull the metal from the ends of the baguettes and release them, necessitating further repair.

It is really not possible to answer this question adequately without examining the ring, and therefore advising the questioner against the jeweler who cautioned them thus is ridiculous and irresponsible in this instance.

I have been "on the bench" for 48 years and have run my own business for 34, and have won numerous design awards for my original pieces, doing many such repairs myself in the process and overseeing other jewelers, and I know what I'm talking about.

Jewelry Making

Dr. Ari Roark

Metalsmithing, Goldsmithing,Jewelry Making, Gemology,Metallurgy,Art Jewelry,Jewelry Appraising,Metal Mill Work,Jewelry Education,Group Projects Adaptable to Special Populations as well as ordinary groups,Ethnobotany,Metal Clays, International Jewellery Law,Trade Law,Rock hounding,Industrial Health and Safety Assessment and Education as it pertains to Jewelry Studios (of all sizes and manufacturing concerns relative to the Trade, Jewellery Trade Organisations,Objective US Jewelry School critical Analysis,Applied Anthropology,goldssmithing,lapidary,metals,refining

More than 35 years experience in the Jewelry Industry, Juris doctorates, PhD's in Anthropology, Cultural History, Cultural Geography, Mining Locations Assessments, Industrial Health and Safety Inspector to the Jewelry Industry, Montessori Educator, Occupational Therapy, Natural Historian, Scholar of Jewelry Evolution, PhD in Creativity ( the analysis of the divergent genres of thought on the process and impetus of the essence of creativity as a state of being expressed tangibly),Extensive Fieldwork with populations of Traditional craftsmen worldwide, former Peace Corps volunteer, Former VISTA volunteer, Etc.

too numerous to list

prefer not to answer for reasons related to plagiarism

PhD Anthropology( Applied(1), Cultural(2)Ethnobotany(1),PhD -Physics (Metallurgy 1)( Wave and Particle Dynamics 1),,JD,MD,MFA-Metals/Jewelry,,MFA-Printmaking, MFA-Sculpture, Extensive undergraduate degrees, extensive post doctoral work, Montessori Educator Certification (Primary and Secondary)..many, many Degrees, Grants, and Awards in my past as an Academic turned Jeweler, OSHA Certifications

too numerous to list including 3 Honorary Doctorates, Two Humanitarian Related Awards, and Service on Many Boards of Directors