Jewelry Making/Silver losing its shine after soldering

nmb wrote at 2010-02-26 11:31:19
In this case, if I understand correctly, to bring back the shine to the "dull" chain links after piclking, you would need a tumbler. But you can make a "quick version" using a small airtight container , some stainless steel shot (bought in jewellery stores), water and a drop of dishwasher soap. Give it a shake for five-ten minutes cocktail-style and the chain will be nice and bright. Hope it helps.

Kyross wrote at 2013-04-14 21:00:15
In regards to the answer given to Orli by Ari; I read your recommendations on silver soldering and I was impressed with all that I learned from your article on silver soldering and how to prevent problems with dull and/or darkened solders. But,(Unless I missed it,) I didn't see any mention of the possibility of certain silver solders that CANNOT be pickled after firing because they contain other metals that are mixed with the silver solder paste. Pickling will turn these other types of solder dark and dull. I wanted to mention this as a possibility because I ran into the same problem with a silver solder paste that I had the same problem with. No matter what I did, I couldn't get the solder to polish or clean after pickling.

I found that even re-firing the original dull solder to a liquid and then using the baking soda and water mixture instead of a pickling solution that it left the soldered piece to remain shiny. I could now clean and polish the joint to a nice finish. The pickling solution was bad for that particular solder paste due to the other metals mixed with the silver. I hope that this is helpful to the original problem that you addressed.

Thank you for the great tips on all the solder related issues. It will be nice to avoid throwing away silver solder because I cant use it in time.  

Jewelry Making

Dr. Ari Roark

Metalsmithing, Goldsmithing,Jewelry Making, Gemology,Metallurgy,Art Jewelry,Jewelry Appraising,Metal Mill Work,Jewelry Education,Group Projects Adaptable to Special Populations as well as ordinary groups,Ethnobotany,Metal Clays, International Jewellery Law,Trade Law,Rock hounding,Industrial Health and Safety Assessment and Education as it pertains to Jewelry Studios (of all sizes and manufacturing concerns relative to the Trade, Jewellery Trade Organisations,Objective US Jewelry School critical Analysis,Applied Anthropology,goldssmithing,lapidary,metals,refining

More than 35 years experience in the Jewelry Industry, Juris doctorates, PhD's in Anthropology, Cultural History, Cultural Geography, Mining Locations Assessments, Industrial Health and Safety Inspector to the Jewelry Industry, Montessori Educator, Occupational Therapy, Natural Historian, Scholar of Jewelry Evolution, PhD in Creativity ( the analysis of the divergent genres of thought on the process and impetus of the essence of creativity as a state of being expressed tangibly),Extensive Fieldwork with populations of Traditional craftsmen worldwide, former Peace Corps volunteer, Former VISTA volunteer, Etc.

too numerous to list

prefer not to answer for reasons related to plagiarism

PhD Anthropology( Applied(1), Cultural(2)Ethnobotany(1),PhD -Physics (Metallurgy 1)( Wave and Particle Dynamics 1),,JD,MD,MFA-Metals/Jewelry,,MFA-Printmaking, MFA-Sculpture, Extensive undergraduate degrees, extensive post doctoral work, Montessori Educator Certification (Primary and Secondary)..many, many Degrees, Grants, and Awards in my past as an Academic turned Jeweler, OSHA Certifications

too numerous to list including 3 Honorary Doctorates, Two Humanitarian Related Awards, and Service on Many Boards of Directors