Jewelry Making/Question about resizing

Dear Chris, I recently purchased a 14k ring from a seller who I asked to resize the ring from 4.5 size to 6 size.  The charge for the resizing was very inexpensive which is why I asked the seller to resizing this 14k ring for me.  
  I expected that the gold added to the ring to be 14k because the shank of the ring is 14k.  However, when I got the ring and tested it, it appears that the added gold is either 10k or lower than 10k because the part of the ring where the gold would have been added is not passing the 14k test(and barely passing the 10k test).  
  However, I tested the other area of the ring and it appears that the ring passes the 14k.  Therefore, I am assuming that the ring is 14k but the added gold when resized is most likely either 10k or lower than 10k.  
  I was never told that lower grade gold was going to be added to this ring but I have a problem with this ring now because I feel that it will be very difficult to have it appraised.  In addition, if I wanted to resell it down the road, I would think that I will have problem selling it because this ring contains mixed gold in the shank(i.e., I cannot sell the ring as 14k or 10k).  
   Is it legal for sellers/repairers to offer resizing without disclosing different gold grade added to jewelry?  
   I ask because I would like to return this ring to the seller for a full refund but the seller doees not want to refund me for the service charge for resizing.

I don't know if it illegal in your area however if it's not should be .  If I were you I would go back and ask them to please put a 14 karat plum sizing piece in your ring at no charge to you.  It is sad that 1 rotten apple has to spoil the whole bunch many stores do this and get away with it without people even checking.   I would definitely make sure that they did it at no charge to you and if they refused report that type of disreputable behavior to the Better Business Bureau.
Even better you might bring along a local television reporter to see if they would like to film an expose on his reaction.  
Good luck and let me know how it turns out please thank you.

Jewelry Making

Chris Eilertsen

I have been in the Jewelry Industry 20 years and Apprenticed as a silver smith took classes in Casting sculpting repair and trained under master gold and silver smiths as well as some experience in Faceting and diamond cutting and polishing for repair. Plating, Wax work, Diamond Setting, Engraving, Carving, Mold Making, design, some watch repair, tool making, enamel work, refining, mining, sales, sand blasting, casting. Have worked in Platinum, Gold, Silver, Pewter, Brass, Bronze, Aluminum,Steel,Titanium,Wood, Plastic, and Stone. 10 years Appraisal work in Jewelry.

20 years commercial experience in Repair Manufacturing and sales of Jewelry 3 years school 4 year apprentice. Worked on the duplication of the treasure found on the Spanish Galleon Maravalla by Dr. Cecil Humphreys. Traveled with and manufactured the souvenirs and miscellaneous replicas from the King Tut Exhibit when it visited the US.

Former member AGTA and GIA and a ten year member of Memphis Jewelers association. 17 years experience in Tuscon Jewelry shows buying and selling.

JCK Tuscon Show Gude

Classes at MSU and The Memphis art academy in Jewelry sculpting, Specialized Repair school, and 2 apprenticeships in Silversmithing from Juelius Astor, and Goldsmithing from Katchic Yacubian both masters for over 35 years each.Studied with Dr. Richard Prilliman, and several others.

JCK Tuscon Show honorable mention in design.

Dr. Cecil Humphreys Finder of the Spanish Galleon Maravalla, The Vanderbilts, Miscellaneous repair antique estate pieces. Elvis Presley Repair and Appraise 2 pieces of jewelry. Rifat Hassan and Nihall Mumtaz With the King Tut Exhibit. Trade work for over 36 Major Chains from Zales to Sams.