Jewelry Making/Resizing ring with lower grade gold.

Dear Orlando, I recently purchased a 14k ring from a seller who I asked to resize the ring from 4.5 size to 6 size.  The charge for the resizing was very inexpensive which is why I asked the seller to resizing this 14k ring for me.  
  I expected that the gold added to the ring to be 14k because the shank of the ring is 14k.  However, when I got the ring and tested it, it appears that the added gold is either 10k or lower than 10k because the part of the ring where the gold would have been added is not passing the 14k test(and barely passing the 10k test).  
  However, I tested the other area of the ring and it appears that the ring passes the 14k.  Therefore, I am assuming that the ring is 14k but the added gold when resized is most likely either 10k or lower than 10k.  
  I was never told that lower grade gold was going to be added to this ring but I have a problem with this ring now because I feel that it will be very difficult to have it appraised.  In addition, if I wanted to resell it down the road, I would think that I will have problem selling it because this ring contains mixed gold in the shank(i.e., I cannot sell the ring as 14k or 10k).  
   Is it legal for sellers/repairers to offer resizing without disclosing different gold grade added to jewelry?  
   I ask because I would like to return this ring to the seller for a full refund but the seller doees not want to refund me for the service charge for resizing.

Hi Laura,
I am sorry to hear what happened to you, it is not legal and not professional either. I am very surprised that a jeweler will do this to you, if you want to take this matter to a higher level you could at any time but I will recommend you to talk to the jeweler first and let him know of your decision.
I feel like the jeweler should give you the refund in full because he used lower carat gold purposely.

Orlando Cajamarca

Jewelry Making

orlando cajamarca

I will answer any question related to jewelry making

30 years

Degree in Metals, GG, JA Certified Master Jeweler

Platinum guild International Design Contest, JA Design Contest.