Jewelry Making/Re-Making Wedding Band

Question
We have a 14k white gold 7mm wedding band that my husband and I are interested in possibly having melted down and remade into a new band.  It is just a plain band, no design, no stones, nothing at all.  We are wondering if it is possible to have it melted down and remade into the very same plain band, comfort fit.  Nothing to be changed.

We just got married a month ago, his ring was slightly too loose, we took it to a jeweler we hadn't worked with before and asked if he could make it smaller, he said yes, he compressed it down half a size tighter and now the ring fits, but has cracks all over it!  We are devastated, the jeweler offered us a free new replacement, but that does not matter to us as that replacement would not hold the sentimental value of being THE ring we were married with and wore on our honeymoon.  We simply want to get rid of the cracks and have it remade into exactly the same thing...therefore keeping the same ring we were married with.

PLEASE ADVISE!

THANK YOU DEEPLY!

Kaitlin

Answer
It might be possible but probably unnecessary. Depending on the type of band and the thickness a good jeweler can probably round the inside edge of the band and make it a comfort fit without having to melt down the band and encoure a lot of extra expense and stress on the metal. If you wanted a thicker band, you would have to re cast and add gold. or make the band narrower again a lot of expense when a jeweler can by hand or with a barrel bur round out the inside edge and easily make it a comfort fit band.

I recommend not recasting for what you asked. However because of the Cracks a good jeweler should be able to fill them and re polish the surface, however if you try to remelt a ring that has cracked you need to add more pure 24kt gold to help eliminate the situation on a remelt. Perhaps annealing the ring and flowing a high melt solder or welding the cracks with 14k white gold wire would be my choice, as when you remelt you might get even a more brittle ring and a variance of color in the new ring.

For sentimental reasons I would recommend the wire weld of the cracks and the inside rounding of the edge to solve both your requests. Also make sure the jeweler you use is capable of rhodium plating the finished product to ensure an even colored surface.  Almost all white gold rings are flash plated to give a brighter and more even look, and also expect to have it cleaned and replated every year or two depending on wear.
And As I tell my customers if it isn't stamped Craftsman it isn't a tool and shouldn't be worked in.... so take it off for the heavy work.
I hope this answers your questions.
Chris

Jewelry Making

Chris Eilertsen