Jewelry Making/allergic reaction to nickel

Question
Hi there,
I have learnt that I am allergic to my white gold engagement ring and wonder about having it plated with platinum. Is platinum the only thing I should have it plated with or are there alternatives? I wonder how expensive/common this process is? Any information on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Lucy.

Answer
Lucy,

Rhodium plating should do the trick however, keeping the ring clean and the plating from rubbing off will be the challenge. In most cases the dirt is the culprit along with moisture to cause a reaction on the skin. it could be soap, as well, rinsing it well and drying it and also not wearing it while working, cooking or gardening will also go a long way to eliminating both wear on the plating and aggravating your skin. If that doesn't do it let me know there are more drastic measures but this should do the trick. It is expensive but a lot cheaper than making a solid platinum ring.
Chris

Jewelry Making

Chris Eilertsen