Jewelry Making/Lost Wax blanks

Question
Hello there. I'm very interested in starting up in this field of hobby making jewellery.

Through research I've found out that I need to use lost wax and I've purchased some. I have wax working tools, going to buy some wax working files, I have a coarse file, ring sizer (without cutting blade, so I'll get one of them next), dividers and assorted grade sandpapers.

However, I have received it as a 6 inch tube (27mm diameter), and I was wondering how do I go about getting blanks from it.

I understand the logic and principle of setting the dividers to a certain size, marking etc but what would be the best to get a nice, clean straight cut through the wax? One side isn't straight/flush to begin with as well so I need to trim that down too.

Thank you for your time.

Many regards, Ruzeen.

Answer
Ruzeen, The 6" tube is usually used for making wedding bands. Vigor makes a U shaped carving blank as well and you can buy them solid or hollow depending on your preference. Most jewelers sketch out their project on paper first knowing which type blank they are going to start with and then cut away what they don't want. some use a saw to divide the tube some use a hot wire. I preferred the saw, the wire sometimes wiggles and causes too much distortion I think, I guess it's just a personal preference.
Most Jewelers Ring sticks have the 1-9 measurements for the compass to size a ring with they are to mark the shank portion where to cut. it is advisable to take the 1 size width and add more to it with the compass at the 1 size width and then cut the outer marks,especially if you have 1/2 or 1/4 sizes, it is easier to divide the size marks in 1/2 with the compass and then cut the outside marks to shrink it to the proper size or add in the correct size piece if needed to enlarge the ring.

Don't worry if you make an error you can always add the wax back in and cut it again, just try not to do it too often, it sometimes leaves dirt in the wax  which can cause surface pitting. Just remember to glaze the finished piece if you want a shiny wax I used a quick hot then cold water dip that worked well for me. It's just up to you what texture you want on the surface of your ring.
I hope this answers your question

Jewelry Making

Chris Eilertsen