Jewelry Making/black ring

I want to design a ring, but I want it to be black. I have read about rings with a black metal rhodium alloy on gold. They talk about how it wears off. I am a law enforcement officer and I am looking for a black metal to make a ring, not a coating. I started looking for a black ring with a thin blue line as a personal ring, but found a beautiful black ring with blue sapphires in it and fell in love with it. That is what made me decide to design my own ring. What is a good black metal to use for a ring without having to coat it?

Angela,  I was able to locate several manufactures that made black rings, most of the jewelers used the benchmark company to make their designs :
Without recommending any one store, I found an online source that was more than reasonable as well that also used them and others as manufactures.
They both accept custom designs, some even send free sizing rings &they both have reasonable prices depending on the design. So unless you want to go in business making lots of rings u would check out these companies by phone or email first.
I hope this helps answer your questions.

Jewelry Making

Chris Eilertsen

I have been in the Jewelry Industry 20 years and Apprenticed as a silver smith took classes in Casting sculpting repair and trained under master gold and silver smiths as well as some experience in Faceting and diamond cutting and polishing for repair. Plating, Wax work, Diamond Setting, Engraving, Carving, Mold Making, design, some watch repair, tool making, enamel work, refining, mining, sales, sand blasting, casting. Have worked in Platinum, Gold, Silver, Pewter, Brass, Bronze, Aluminum,Steel,Titanium,Wood, Plastic, and Stone. 10 years Appraisal work in Jewelry.

20 years commercial experience in Repair Manufacturing and sales of Jewelry 3 years school 4 year apprentice. Worked on the duplication of the treasure found on the Spanish Galleon Maravalla by Dr. Cecil Humphreys. Traveled with and manufactured the souvenirs and miscellaneous replicas from the King Tut Exhibit when it visited the US.

Former member AGTA and GIA and a ten year member of Memphis Jewelers association. 17 years experience in Tuscon Jewelry shows buying and selling.

JCK Tuscon Show Gude

Classes at MSU and The Memphis art academy in Jewelry sculpting, Specialized Repair school, and 2 apprenticeships in Silversmithing from Juelius Astor, and Goldsmithing from Katchic Yacubian both masters for over 35 years each.Studied with Dr. Richard Prilliman, and several others.

JCK Tuscon Show honorable mention in design.

Dr. Cecil Humphreys Finder of the Spanish Galleon Maravalla, The Vanderbilts, Miscellaneous repair antique estate pieces. Elvis Presley Repair and Appraise 2 pieces of jewelry. Rifat Hassan and Nihall Mumtaz With the King Tut Exhibit. Trade work for over 36 Major Chains from Zales to Sams.