Jewelry Making/Cracks in newly made Rose Gold Mounting

Question
Hi, I just had a 18kt Rose Gold Mounting made with white gold top prongs to hold my diamond, however, when I received it I took it to my local professional jeweler to have my stone mounted and they revealed under a 10x microscope that the ring contained a large amount of fine cracks.  I contacted the Jeweler who made it and he stated the find cracks would not hurt the integrity or durability of the ring.  I am suspect as I do not know if I feel comfortable with keeping it.  Would I be better served to have them remake the ring in yellow or white gold? Thanks so much!

Answer
Carol,
Without seeing the ring and the cracks, it is difficult to determine if the cracks would compromise the integrity it the ring. It is common when using"old, or customer's gold"  to encounter small cracks. Sometimes overheating the gold prior to the cast can also cause them. As to their reduction in structural integrity, it would depend on position & size.

Having them remake the ring with the same golf will probably not solve your issue. It will probably take new pure & new pink,yellow, or white alloy to rectify the issue, & should cost a little more than using " old" gold. We used to charge twice the weight in old to convert to new, because if the refining fees.
I hope this helps you with your issue of the cracks. If they are small enough & don't compromise the structure,( being in a stress area & making it weak) then you may be ok. Again, hard to say without seing it.
Good luck,
Chris

Jewelry Making

Chris Eilertsen